1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
E350CDI, SL600, 500SE LPG, 500SL-32, SL500, Range Rover V8 LPG, Land Rover S2
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

Any help would be appreciated.

I do most of my business mileage abroad so I bought a LHD 2009 W212 E350CDI which - since I'm technically resident in the UK - I'll have to register here.

In order to do this, I understand that there's software config that can be done via Star to program the rear foglamp to light on the right (necessary for UK lighting regs) rather than as standard in Germany on the left.

The local dealer programmed the headlamps for me, but the foglamp appear to have stumped them and MB UK are very slow coming back with an answer on how to do it.

It looks from the wiring diagrams that the lamps are actually wired on both sides, but that the software (or relays) need to be changed to actually make the lamp on the right come on

Having read the wiring diagrams it appears that N10/2 (Rear Passenger Compartment SAM unit/relay module) controls the rear lights. It seems to control E3/1e5 (L rear fog) and E4/1e5 (R rear fog)

Short of hacking the wiring harness about, does anyone know how to make this modification so I can get the car approved to register here in the UK?

I have access to a Chinese copy Xentry/Star "Developer" system though obviously I'm a bit nervous about poking about in it without some guidance!

cheers

Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is probably only a lamp on the left side of the car. If this is the case, just move it to the right side.

Have you checked to see?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is probably only a lamp on the left side of the car. If this is the case, just move it to the right side.

Have you checked to see?
Yes, the lamp (LED) is definitely there on both sides

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts
Yes, the lamp (LED) is definitely there on both sides
This might sound stupid, but have you tried to remove the trunk liner so that you can see the wires going to the lamp unit? I assume that the rear fog lamps are on the tailgate, then it might be easy to just swap the wire L to R and R to L, no programming needed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This might sound stupid, but have you tried to remove the trunk liner so that you can see the wires going to the lamp unit? I assume that the rear fog lamps are on the tailgate, then it might be easy to just swap the wire L to R and R to L, no programming needed.
Well .... it's strange that you should say that, because....

In order to register my car in the UK I have to fill in a form, pay £70 and get a piece of paper from one set of dim bureaucrats that I then have to send to another set of dim bureaucrats. Accompanying this form, i need to get an invoice from a garage and a statement on headed paper that:
(a) the dipped beams point to the left - usually new headlamps but in my case reprogrammed
(b) side indicators (factory fit)
(c) rear seat belts (factory fit)
(d) MPH speedo (in my case re-program the digital speedo and
(e) that the foglamp lights on the right, not on the left.

For (e) the Merc franchise workshop insisted that this could be done via software, so I let them get on with it.

The trail of OTT process went as follows:
(1) Take car to dealer. Dealer does headlamps, can't get foglamp reprogramming to work, so raises a support ticket with MB UK
(2) wait 10 days for answer
(3) take car back again so they can have another go. Dealer finds that they need password (why?) from Germany. Password has to be used within 24 hours or it expires (why?)
(4) wait 4 days for response
(5) Germany central unit ask for control unit data dump (why?). Send data dump
(6) wait 2 days for response
(7) Get password, reprogram lights for BOTH foglamps to come on, dealer MOTs the car, very helpfully writes all the info that I need on the invoice, valets the car, has everything waiting for me and only charges me £75 including VAT for the lot. Very good. Considering the hassle they've had I think that's good value.

Now....

I start the car this morning and test the foglamp. It lights .... wait for it ... on the LEFT! AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!! Back to Square 1.

I cannot fault the local MB dealer because they've been extremely helpful throughout, however something is *very* wrong with MB UK's concept of "service".

Bugger it. I have my MOT and piece of paper for VCA bureaucrats, so when I (hopefully) get my piece of paper from the VCA bureaucrats to send to the DVLA bureaucrats in order to register the car, I'm good to go.

I have till next year's MOT to do exactly as you say: pull the stupid pulgs out and swap them over.

As BBC Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson would say: "HOW HARD CAN IT BE?" Surely it should be easier than this. A PASSWORD to reprogram a FOGLAMP? It's not exactly the Sizewell B Nuclear Power Station we're talking about here, is it?

·
Registered
2009 e250
3 Posts
Now that's an interesting read :)
I have the same problem but the other way round, trying to register UK model (W212) in Europe. The issue with rear fog light is really bothering if you need password to change. I was hoping to do it myself if I can get one of these Chinese tools..
Depending on which year W212 it is, it may not be possible to just swap the plugs between R & L rear fog units, I tried that already. I swapped the units and the R one (driver side) did not work on passenger side, so there must be another module that needs programming too, not just the rear units.
Does someone have a wiring diagram showing what modules are along the way from ECU to rear fog light unit? And possibly the programming instructions/software for coding these fog units?
Any info would be much appreciated!
Best

[edit]
or someone already has spare EU fog module (driver side) that I can buy if the programming doesn't persist (if I get a password) :)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Folks

Any help would be appreciated.
A few comments here.

1. I don't think that it is legal (in the UK) for left & right rear fog lights to come on together. (it looks like the brakes are on)

2. If you do switch from left to right, will this be OK for your Germany travel?

3. I've had a close look at the W212 rear SAM circuit diagram page which covers the rear lights. If it is not possible to achieve the change via software (which I find very surprising) I would do a wire crossover at socket 6HD on the Rear SAM (N10/2).

Refer to the WIS drawing below. E3/1e5 is left rear fog lamp, E4/1e5 is right rear fog lamp. You have W212 version U58. (W212.1 engine version) The wiring from both rear light assemblies goes to N10/2 socket 6HD.

So, if you interchange the wires on pin 6 (green/white) & pin 7 (blue/white) the function will be changed. To do this I would cut the wires, re-solder and insulate the new joints.

Attachments

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
The quick and (not even so) dirty solution from keyhole sounds a good idea although I'm sure there is a software/version coding solution too. It might need VeDoc changes and SCN coding though, I did not have a look at which normal version coding options are available (likely very limited on an "Xentry" car).

·
Registered
2009 e250
3 Posts
A few comments here.

1. I don't think that it is legal (in the UK) for left & right rear fog lights to come on together. (it looks like the brakes are on)

2. If you do switch from left to right, will this be OK for your Germany travel?

3. I've had a close look at the W212 rear SAM circuit diagram page which covers the rear lights. If it is not possible to achieve the change via software (which I find very surprising) I would do a wire crossover at socket 6HD on the Rear SAM (N10/2).

Refer to the WIS drawing below. E3/1e5 is left rear fog lamp, E4/1e5 is right rear fog lamp. You have W212 version U58. (W212.1 engine version) The wiring from both rear light assemblies goes to N10/2 socket 6HD.

So, if you interchange the wires on pin 6 (green/white) & pin 7 (blue/white) the function will be changed. To do this I would cut the wires, re-solder and insulate the new joints.
Many thanks keyhole, I had done the wiring earlier, not 2 wire crossover, but 10 :(. I also need EU driver side fog unit as the UK passenger side doesn't work even though LED's are in place. I tried the correct unit from a friends car and with the modified wiring the EU unit works fine. Still a software solution is the challenge for me. Since its a simple enable/disable for each rear fog unit and for the ECU to send correct ID (E3 or E4 or whatever is the CAN code for each fog unit) on the right CAN bus.

·
Registered
2009 e250
3 Posts
The quick and (not even so) dirty solution from keyhole sounds a good idea although I'm sure there is a software/version coding solution too. It might need VeDoc changes and SCN coding though, I did not have a look at which normal version coding options are available (likely very limited on an "Xentry" car).
I'm sure there is, I came across 'autologic' which have document on their website confirming their software can code Rear SAM and possibly define location in ECU as EU so the ECU can send correct code to Rear SAM

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few comments here.

Thanks Keyhole

Well I can confirm that the car really, really is GREAT and I've used it for my business travel all over Europe for nearly 2 years now. It's a very, very comfy and decent performing car that eats up the autobahn miles.

In the end I never did change the fog lamp but will give the wiring fix a go as you suggest. I looked at the wiring diagrams myself and had thought of simple hacking the loom, but never got around to it.

I still think that the process is *stupid* but that's German thinking for you: don't make a process simple if you can possibly make it ridiculously complicated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if you're still on this forum, but could you give me an address for the mercedes garage that did the e350 fog lamp work for you?

Kind regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rear Foglamp LHD/RHD Solved

Hi,

I got IVA refusal as well based on fog light, either right should work or both, not left only.

After the IVA failure we went straight to dealer, after 20 minute wait and explaining the issue the service rep told us we needed a new unit, I'm not going to argue with stupidity, so we thanked him and left.

Today I pried off the inner trunk liner of a W212 2013 facelift RHD and a 2009 W212 LHD. I then got the wires from left disconnected and put them on the right lights. The RHD W212 Right fog went out, and the LHD Right hand fog went ON. As the wiring loom extents from the right side (for both LHD/RHD) I wasn't able to test left side yet but should be smooth sailing.

So there's a lot of solutions to this problem.

My preferred one; go to boneyard 2morrow, get the stretch of wires going across to the left tail light, and extend the wires from the right side with this to reach the left lamp. Then I'm going to the test, and then I'll switch it straight back. This will NOT interfere with your CAMBUS computer system

Second one; splice the two wires that are in a different slot of the connectors (hold them next to each other) and then run two wires from the side with fog to the one without. You'll now have TWO fog lights Left and Right. This will NOT interfere with your CAMBUS computer system

Third one; pick up a complete LHD/RHD (as preferred/needed) wiring harness at the boneyard. Replace existing loom with needed one. This will take more time, the loom also has license plate light, trunk light etc. attached but this is what dealers should get instructed to do. Only one fog light should come on. This will NOT interfere with your CAMBUS computer system

4th option; go to dealer wait 20 days till they reprogram the brain of an LHD car to think it's RHD, which it will immediately forget when it's locked :) Maybe you can drive it staright from the dealer to the test place; don't lock the car in between!!! This WILL interfere with your CAMBUS computer system

the test guy advised me I should test again within half a year and it would be 40 quid. He's probably seen Benzes before and didn't think I would solve it in a day. He failed to mention I could go again for free within 5 business days, which is what I'll do.

Hopefully you find this helpful, if you have any questions please feel free to get in touch.

Note W212 2009-2013 have 5 wires in the connectors going to the light units
W212 2013-2016 have 4 wires in the connectors going to the light unit, this does not affect the story above.

The ONLY difference is in the pinout of the Loom so there's probably two main Loom product numbers for LHD and RHD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some pictures, unsure if upload worked.

I managed to get RHD wiring loom S212 2011 Estate from boneyard, productnumber is 00075682439
so for RHD Fog follow connector wiring diagram of this loom

Because on the estate left wires come from middle left top, and right wires from middle right top, next to each other, switching over should be easier than the sedan where the wiring comes only from right and switching causes wires from right to be too short to reach the left.

Hence easiest and best solution is to switch the pinout on the connector of the Light that you want/need to have FOG. Check pin-out of a comparable wiring loom and you're all set, I'll try it in a bit and post results.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess pinouts are same for LHD / RHD on both looms, so that isn't it, must be country code thingy. Perhaps the Swiss have requirement for both, and you should have the country code set there :)

Anyway, to solve this issue quick;

Locate SAM in second little cavity on right rear. Unscrew three bolts and locate WHITE 32 pin connector, slide connector off by turning grey safety lever 90 degrees. The connector has a blue circle on it in the picture of the estate loom below.
To get Left Fog working if it isn't; change pin 06 on SAM connector to 07 and reverse.
To get Right Fog working if it isn't; change pin 06 on SAM connector to 07 and reverse.
To revers, reverse :)

You can rewire also by cutting the Green/White wires and connecting these with the Blue/Yellow wires at any point where they meet. They run alongside in the sedan from the SAM all the way through the hinge into the trunk.

Logic states that connecting the working fog to the non working fog should theoretically yield two working fogs :) May try that next.

Wiring;

RHD S212 2011

Left
Ground
Green/White 06
Grey/Blue 05
Yellow/Pink 09
Green 14

Right
Ground
Blue/Yellow 07
Blue/Green 04
Yellow/Purple 10
Blue/Orange 24

LHD W212 2009

Left
Ground
Green/White 06
Grey/Blue 05
Yellow/Pink 09
Green 14

Right
Ground
Blue/Yellow 07
Blue/Green 04
Yellow/Purple 10
Blue/Orange 24

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 300D, 2013 E550 4Matic, 2005 S2000
3 Posts
Sorry to revive the old thread, but have a question. I have a LHD 2013 model and want both lights to function together (don't worry, I'm not planning to drive with them on all the time, just want something to use against the high beams behind me). Connecting green/white to blue yellow post SAM would accomplish this? Or am I mis-interpreting?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts