Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I researched, more confuse I got...:confused:

I had this pair, but I sold it.
Can anyone confirm if this pair HAS the proper lens pattern for LHD cars here in North America.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, so looks like this new (used) pair I just picked up have the wrong lens for the passenger side.
Being on the passenger side & not on the driver's side...shouldn't cause too much grief on opposing drivers or should I just replace it...period.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.3 Limited #566/700
1,740 Posts
Thanks guys, so looks like this new (used) pair I just picked up have the wrong lens for the passenger side.
Being on the passenger side & not on the driver's side...shouldn't cause too much grief on opposing drivers or should I just replace it...period.
Don't worry about it, it shouldn't do much harm to oncoming traffic. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
What do the markings on the lens say?

There are codes that reveal the correct use of the lens (which side of the road the vehicle should drive on, etc).

Sorry, photo is not as clear as the first one.

Seems your beam pattern is going to be __/ \__ ?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Yep, as confirmed, they are mix-matched.

Interesting to see that one lens does not have the BOSCH name on it while the other has.

My Euros (300D/W123) are the same, only one has the stamped name.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the confirmation guys. Even though it's not what I want to hear. :p

Both lens have no pitting at all, smooth as a baby's bottom.

Now the ?, should I replace the passenger side lens with a correct one or leave it as zephyrueffer recommends?

If replace, where is a good place to get a replacement one?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks tjts1, I actually follow his headlight aiming instructions on his site. :eek:

That's a good read. Not only I severely blind oncoming traffic, BUT does not provide adequate illumination for ME to see what I need to see in order to drive safely.

After all, isn't the whole purpose of headlights is for me to see & to drive safely. ;)
So WHERE is a good place to get a proper replacement lens???

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,512 Posts
The lens isn't the only thing thats different. If you pop the covers behind the H4 bulbs on both headlights and set them side by side, you'll notice that each bulb is rotated 30 degrees clockwise on the LHD headlight and 30 degrees CCwise on the RHD headlight. Besides having the correct lens, both bulbs need to be rotated at the same angle in order to get the same RHD pattern. You would need to replace both the lens and the reflector at which point you might as well replace the whole housing. I went through this with my volvo years ago when I mistakenly bought a set for Ecodes from the UK.

Another solution is to use a blocker. When UK drivers travel to the continent or vice versa, they are required to install a small sticker on the headlight that blocks the up kick in the beam patter. You will end up with a completely flat beam pattern from that headlight. Its really not a big deal. Since it would be permanent on your car, you can remove the lens and pain the beam blocker onto the inside of the lens.

Scroll down
The DLOC International Rally 2010
Another one
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/EuropeanLamp

cheers
Justin

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
You could also try to see if the Bosch P/N's on the headlight assemblies are meant for a pair, to confirm if it's only the lens that needs to be changed.

If not, then the assemblies are halves from designated pairs and somebody else has the same problem, just opposite. :D

Europartsdirect.com sold me a good Bosch pair of Euro LHD lenses. They have them too for 190E.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could also try to see if the Bosch P/N's on the headlight assemblies are meant for a pair, to confirm if it's only the lens that needs to be changed.

If not, then the assemblies are halves from designated pairs and somebody else has the same problem, just opposite. :D

Europartsdirect.com sold me a good Bosch pair of Euro RHD lenses. They have them too for 190E.
Yea, good suggestions! X my fingers, just the lens. :D

BUT WHAT.....you bought RHD lenses? :confused:

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Yea, good suggestions! X my fingers, just the lens. :D

BUT WHAT.....you bought RHD lenses? :confused:
All this talk on handedness got me confused. Corrected my original response to reflect LHD instead of RHD lenses...

I was thinking right hand traffic (left hand drive). Vice versa would be left hand traffic (right hand drive).

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The lens isn't the only thing thats different. If you pop the covers behind the H4 bulbs on both headlights and set them side by side, you'll notice that each bulb is rotated 30 degrees clockwise on the LHD headlight and 30 degrees CCwise on the RHD headlight. Besides having the correct lens, both bulbs need to be rotated at the same angle in order to get the same RHD pattern. You would need to replace both the lens and the reflector at which point you might as well replace the whole housing. I went through this with my volvo years ago when I mistakenly bought a set for Ecodes from the UK.

Another solution is to use a blocker. When UK drivers travel to the continent or vice versa, they are required to install a small sticker on the headlight that blocks the up kick in the beam patter. You will end up with a completely flat beam pattern from that headlight. Its really not a big deal. Since it would be permanent on your car, you can remove the lens and pain the beam blocker onto the inside of the lens.

Scroll down
The DLOC International Rally 2010
Another one
Pagoda SL Group Technical Manual :: Electrical / EuropeanLamp

cheers
Justin
Hey Justin,

What if I only replace the RHD lens to a LHD lens, BUT NOT the reflector with 30 degrees CCwise on the RHD headlight. What are the consequences??

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
European headlight lens:

1) LHD, Left side, Bosch# 1 305 620 977
2) LHD, Right side, Bosch# 1 305 620 978
3) RHD, Left side, Bosch# 1 305 620 979
4) RHD, Right side, Bosch# 1 305 610 980

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,512 Posts
Hey Justin,

What if I only replace the RHD lens to a LHD lens, BUT NOT the reflector with 30 degrees CCwise on the RHD headlight. What are the consequences??
You'll end up with a screwy patter. Just use tape or paint on the inside of the lens to even it out.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts