Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LEXUS vs MERCEDES vs BMW....BTW...whats this im reading about mercedes having bad build quality????

I am in the market for a new car. I personally think a 99 (or 00', if i can afford it)clk430 is the best choice but after reading many posts on this site i have come across many disgruntled mercedes benz owners, perticularly in the "build quality" department. I have been saving up for a long time and dont want to make the wrong choice. I have basically narrowed it down to a 99'gs400, 99'clk430.....MAYBE..a 2001 330xi but i doubt it....there are just to many of them. And last i was considering a new C class benz....but i really want the power of the V8 and the look of the CLK....i just want it to have a sophisticated and luxurious interior at the same time. I am planning on getting a bodykit and rims for whatever car i buy so dont base your decisions on stock appearances....This is a great forum and it definetly seems to have many knowledgeable people participating in the discussions.......so what should i do?? All help is greatly appriciated.

thanks for your time,

Evan

·
Registered
-06' CLS500 Lorinser-08'-MC Design Whips Project SL -06' Land Rover-
419 Posts
CLK430

The GS is a nice car but the build quality of Toyota vs. our CLK's can not be compared. My biggest gripe of my car is maintenance. Never an issue with build quality with regards to my Mercedes. Go for the CLK !

Mark

·
Registered
-06' CLS500 Lorinser-08'-MC Design Whips Project SL -06' Land Rover-
419 Posts
CLK430

The GS is a nice car but the build quality of Toyota vs. our CLK's can not be compared. My biggest gripe of my car is maintenance. Never an issue with build quality with regards to my Mercedes. Go for the CLK !

Mark

·
Registered
1999 CLK430
25 Posts
yeah, I actually bought my 99 CLK430 used and I love it. No problems with it and no gri...

yeah, I actually bought my 99 CLK430 used and I love it. No problems with it and no gripes. The only thing that has happened with the car is that the cigarette lighter broke and I had a squeak in the seat, both of which they replaced under warranty for free. They replaced the cigarette lighter completely and gave me new seat cushions to stop the squeaks.
I am completely satisfied with the clk. The gs400 is a nice car too, but I personally didn't want a 4 door. You can't go wrong with either car.

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
RE: CLK's build after 99 were built much better

I have a '98 CLK. This is my 4th Mercedes and I am perfectly happy with its quality.

I have had no problems with it - except a strange noice that happens when I start the car in VERY cold weather. (VERY cold means lower temperature than -30C.) I have no squeaking sounds (when outside temperature is reasonable :cool: ), the engine is fine and the suspension/ chassis works great.

My opinnion is that if you buy a CLK, you will not get disappointed. If you buy a newer CLK, it will have the facelift. If you buy an older one, it is still a wonderful car.

If I would be buying a W208 now, and I would have decided to get a body kit, I would buy one of the older ones with low mileage and good options rather than a newer one. The facelift does not give you too much extra if you get a body kit. IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts