Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LEXUS vs MERCEDES vs BMW....BTW...whats this im reading about mercedes having bad build quality????

I am in the market for a new car. I personally think a 99 (or 00', if i can afford it)clk430 is the best choice but after reading many posts on this site i have come across many disgruntled mercedes benz owners, perticularly in the "build quality" department. I have been saving up for a long time and dont want to make the wrong choice. I have basically narrowed it down to a 99'gs400, 99'clk430.....MAYBE..a 2001 330xi but i doubt it....there are just to many of them. And last i was considering a new C class benz....but i really want the power of the V8 and the look of the CLK....i just want it to have a sophisticated and luxurious interior at the same time. I am planning on getting a bodykit and rims for whatever car i buy so dont base your decisions on stock appearances....This is a great forum and it definetly seems to have many knowledgeable people participating in the discussions.......so what should i do?? All help is greatly appriciated.

thanks for your time,

Evan

·
Registered
1999 CLK430
25 Posts
yeah, I actually bought my 99 CLK430 used and I love it. No problems with it and no gri...

yeah, I actually bought my 99 CLK430 used and I love it. No problems with it and no gripes. The only thing that has happened with the car is that the cigarette lighter broke and I had a squeak in the seat, both of which they replaced under warranty for free. They replaced the cigarette lighter completely and gave me new seat cushions to stop the squeaks.
I am completely satisfied with the clk. The gs400 is a nice car too, but I personally didn't want a 4 door. You can't go wrong with either car.

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
RE: CLK's build after 99 were built much better

I have a '98 CLK. This is my 4th Mercedes and I am perfectly happy with its quality.

I have had no problems with it - except a strange noice that happens when I start the car in VERY cold weather. (VERY cold means lower temperature than -30C.) I have no squeaking sounds (when outside temperature is reasonable :cool: ), the engine is fine and the suspension/ chassis works great.

My opinnion is that if you buy a CLK, you will not get disappointed. If you buy a newer CLK, it will have the facelift. If you buy an older one, it is still a wonderful car.

If I would be buying a W208 now, and I would have decided to get a body kit, I would buy one of the older ones with low mileage and good options rather than a newer one. The facelift does not give you too much extra if you get a body kit. IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.