Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken lying on the ground looking up into the engine bay from below. The bushings are clearly shot and I am assuming the damper is also tired at this point.

Please keep in mind that I'm a near total Mercedes newbie here and my shop manual hasn't arrived yet, but I'm thinking engine mount/damper?

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take that as a yes, ha. Thanks Dave!

So clearly the bushings are shot. Given that the unit will have to be removed to change the bushings should I just plan on replacing the damper as well?

I don't have a history on when it was last done and not sure how to check, but kinda seems like a fools bargain not to just do it while in there. That is spoken as a guy who is used to working on cars with often dubious parts quality so if I'm off base here please don't be shy.

Thanks guys.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
I'll take that as a yes, ha. Thanks Dave!

So clearly the bushings are shot. Given that the unit will have to be removed to change the bushings should I just plan on replacing the damper as well?

I don't have a history on when it was last done and not sure how to check, but kinda seems like a fools bargain not to just do it while in there. That is spoken as a guy who is used to working on cars with often dubious parts quality so if I'm off base here please don't be shy.

Thanks guys.

If at some point you're doing the subframe bushings it would make sense to do the motor mounts and that shock as well.

I don't recall from your various threads, has the subframe failure issue been addressed?

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If at some point you're doing the subframe bushings it would make sense to do the motor mounts and that shock as well.

I don't recall from your various threads, has the subframe failure issue been addressed?
I still need to check w/ Mercedes on the subframe.

I don't have a history on when the subframe bushings were last changes, and she feels floaty, so am planning on subframe and shocks. Ditto on sway bar bushings since they are shot.

Any natural grouping of these?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Subframe bushings, upper and lower control arm bushings, motor mounts, tie rods, and front shocks are what had done when my front subframe was replaced. It actually had an obvious tear in one of the control arm attachment tabs. The dealership that did the work was kind enough to let me provide the parts, and charge only for labor.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts