Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
No, for multiple reasons. Mostly the 1992 500SL does not have LH injection, it has CIS-E mechanical injection, and the computers are not interchangeable. A module from a 93-95 500SL/SL500 would physically plug into a 400E, but would have the wrong fuel curves, and would lack the signal to the 400E-only first gear cold upshift delay relay.

The 5.0L LH modules are interchangeable between chassis that originally came with a 5.0L engine, although there are minor differences in programming. The 4.2L W140 (400SE/S420) module would not work properly in a 400E due to the relay issue mentioned previously.

Bottom line... get the correct module. They aren't expensive.
More good info, thanks gsxr! I've located a local to me 1993 400SEL with the ASR 2.82 diff for $100 if I do pick up this W124 :)

From what I've read on this forum and others I need the LH module with one of these part numbers: 014 545 15 32 or 012 545 15 32 and the build date for the module should be pre 7/1992. Does that sound correct?

Would 17" AMG wheels fit on a 400E or bad idea? I saw a cheap set locally from a W210 E320. I'm getting a little ahead of myself here I know, but just trying to learn more about these cars.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
From what I've read on this forum and others I need the LH module with one of these part numbers: 014 545 15 32 or 012 545 15 32 and the build date for the module should be pre 7/1992. Does that sound correct?
Build date doesn't matter, part number does. You need 012-545-30-32 or 014-545-15-32. Also doesn't matter what year/model the seller claims it came out of, as sometimes cars have the wrong module. Match the part numbers.

Would 17" AMG wheels fit on a 400E or bad idea? I saw a cheap set locally from a W210 E320. I'm getting a little ahead of myself here I know, but just trying to learn more about these cars.
Very much depends on the width & offset, and if the 400E is stock ride height or lowered... and lowering will be more difficult than usual due to SLS. You'll sacrifice ride quality with 17's and will likely need to roll all the fender lips & add fender/bumper spacers for clearance. I like to run 16x7.0 ET37 wheels with 205/55/16 tires on most 124's, perfect fit, no clearance issues, good ride quality. Tons of factory wheels available in this size from late 90's and early 00's, mostly C-class.

My $0.02: Get the car first, get it running properly second, before dumping $1k into fancy AMG wheels and new tires. There's nothing wrong with the stock 15" wheels.

:wink

·
Registered
60 Posts
Build date doesn't matter, part number does. You need 012-545-30-32 or 014-545-15-32. Also doesn't matter what year/model the seller claims it came out of, as sometimes cars have the wrong module. Match the part numbers.

Very much depends on the width & offset, and if the 400E is stock ride height or lowered... and lowering will be more difficult than usual due to SLS. You'll sacrifice ride quality with 17's and will likely need to roll all the fender lips & add fender/bumper spacers for clearance. I like to run 16x7.0 ET37 wheels with 205/55/16 tires on most 124's, perfect fit, no clearance issues, good ride quality. Tons of factory wheels available in this size from late 90's and early 00's, mostly C-class.

My $0.02: Get the car first, get it running properly second, before dumping $1k into fancy AMG wheels and new tires. There's nothing wrong with the stock 15" wheels.

:wink
Good points and thanks for correcting my part number for the LH module. I'm not a fan really of crazy stuff like rolled fenders at all, nothing wrong with 16" wheels and ride comfort would be important on a MB imho. I've got a BMW for driving like a racecar :wink

·
Registered
60 Posts
I finally had time to go look at the '93 400E last week, it was of course rougher than I hoped. Fair amount of rust around two jack points and both front fenders are done for. It did run, but has been sitting outside in the damp too much I'd guess.

Flaws the seller didn't mention:

A tree branch recently fell on the side of the car and made a couple of significant dents
There is no muffler
Interior smelled like a mouse nest and there were mouse droppings about
Both engine intact ducts are gone
Tires are junk
Engine belt is gone
Everything in the engine compartment has some light corrosion from sitting around in the damp
Lots of mouse evidence in engine bay
One headlight at least needs replacement
Rear door lower plastic is the wrong color and is loose

Good things:

The inside if the engine under the oil cap looks decently clean and it has the aluminum oiler tubes
None of the doors seem to have rust
Interior conditions is pretty decent, just really dirty
Interior wood trim is good
The wheels all match (including the spare)
None of the rust seemed beyond repair
It has the original first aid kit and owner's manual, warranty card, dealer locator, etc.

So biggest issue right now is the seller does not have a title, but said he'd go as low as $500

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ugh. That is pretty rough outside. Inside looks like it could clean up ok after evicting the mouse. $500 is about the max for a rusty unicorn. Worst case you could part it out and get $500+, if it starts & runs.

If you proceed, I'd focus on getting it running properly. It may not be worth trying to fix the body, other than swapping out the door moulding with one of the proper color. I wonder what's up with the tape on the front fenders behind the turn signal lenses?

No title is a problem - what's the story there? If it was titled in his name, he should be able to obtain a duplicate title from DMV.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the input. I looked a another one recently that has a clean title but some other issues (of course).

So the basics of the two cars are:

1993 400E, build date of 10/92, has like every factory option just about including SLS and ASR, has the aluminum oiler tubes, replacement engine harness, ~200k, the front trans seals or something leaks trans fluid badly, has some pretty large dents, has some significant rust spots, it's been sitting outside for close to a year and has evidence of mice, needs a muffler, runs decent, looking thru the oil fill cap, engine looks clean, records show one owner for a number of years and some dealer maintenance. Has title issues, which would have to be address before I would buy it of course. $500
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/Zd13MM

1994 E420, build date of 04/94, no ASR, very basic options, has the plastic oiler tubes, replacement engine harness, ~141k, the trans likely done for but it comes with a used salvage yard trans, has some significant rust spots but similar to the '93, paint is ok, not many dents or scratches, runs pretty smooth, looking thru the oil fill cap, engine looks to have some sludge buildup, records show many owners (with several only owning the car for like 2-3 years) and some dealer maintenance. Clean title $700
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmczKSpP

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The second one looks like another basket case. I can't believe how much rust is on both of those cars. If there's any way you could make a trip to a southern/western state and buy a rust-free example, believe me, it would be worth every penny.

:(

·
Registered
60 Posts
The second one looks like another basket case. I can't believe how much rust is on both of those cars. If there's any way you could make a trip to a southern/western state and buy a rust-free example, believe me, it would be worth every penny.

:(
You're probably right...I wasn't thrilled about fixing rust on my BMW last year :(

I found a few rust-free (according to the seller) examples, but nothing closer than like 4.5 hours. Hate to drive that far for another rusty one ;)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I found a few rust-free (according to the seller) examples, but nothing closer than like 4.5 hours. Hate to drive that far for another rusty one ;)
Ask the seller for assorted photos, or better yet, a walkaround video. May save you a 9-hour round trip.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts
About this Discussion
189 Replies
34 Participants
gsxr
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing