Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1993 W124
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member in this wonderful forum and a fan of Mercedes cars and I own W124 + W201 and I was thinking why do we share technical expertise from members who have engineering skills in the project of adding an electric motor and batteries to Mercedes cars to become hybrid like modern cars so that we do not give up our current cars that we love Actually we keep pace with the development and economy in gasoline expenses & Slow car advancement
Anyone have tried this idea, let us share our opinion and how it is possible

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,242 Posts
There are a lot of EV conversions on older cars. That's a far more feasible option as integrating IC and electric drivetrains into an existing old car platform is not space efficient nor is the management of making them work together. And IC-EV hybrid is really just a stepping stone until full EV has matured, anyway.

But don't let me be too much of a naysayer. I'm all for the innovation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think this is an excellent idea !
There must be a lot of expertise hidden amongst members that could be tapped and turned to making these platforms transitional appliances rather than puerile experiments in gas guzzling hotrods.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,624 Posts
I'm with PN187. A neighbor of mine converted a middle aged VW bug to full electric. Seemed to be happy with it as a short distance car. I have no details but seems like a workable situation.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,035 Posts
so what, graft a 124 body onto a Prius chassis ?

pretty much all production hybrids are FWD cars except for some race born exotics

·
Registered
W124
4,901 Posts
Look for a totalled Tesla and enlist the help of a good welder :) This kind of Frankenstein isn't too far off in the future of hotrodding I suspect.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,035 Posts
i doubt you could fit the tesla's batteries under a 124 without lifting it.... and I'd be curious if the electric motor package would fit where the differential is. where would you mount the ginormous tesla control screen? thats all integerated into the tesla's electronics.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,510 Posts
Mercedes already made a hybrid and used a special 7GTRONIC transmission with the electrical motor in it (IIRC.) That's the direction I would go.
An M111 with the hybrid transmission would give me the giddy up of the electric motor and the range of the ICE version. Batteries under the rear seat. Parts probably talk to each other in a fashion.

You're welcome. <bows>

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
there's very little room under the back seats, certainly not enough for even a prius sized battery, never mind a tesla sized.

·
Registered
W124
4,901 Posts
I don't know. The trunk is a great place for batteries and there isn't going to be an M103/04 under the hood any more, so all the luggage and spare tire can go up there. The transmission tunnel is "found" real estate as well as the space for the fuel tank. I understand that its not a plug and play affair but none will be.

The forklift helps show the scale of the Tesla S battery package but it doesn't seem impossibly large. If they could be evenly split front to rear...

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,242 Posts
I've seen a number of BMW E30 EV conversions. Quick search yields lots of hits and info for this car.

A number of other platforms but I can't think of what they are off top other than a few VW Beetles. Perhaps one of those was dolucasi's neighbor's. At least one of those had the stock 4spd transaxle, and I remember the article saying they left it in 4th. Looking at those EV conversions to get an idea of what others have done would be a good place to start if anyone is serious about this.

There are a few modern RWD hybrids that I can think of, BMW, MB, Lexus, and maybe some other lux marques. A body swap would be another way of getting it done.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,161 Posts
Sounds like more European eco crazed tree hugger bullsh!t.

Absolutely zero interest in a electric milkfloat, even if it carries a W124 body, UNTIL they figure out how to cut down recharge times down to the fossil fuel equivalent for a full recharge/refill (approx 5 minutes).

Electric cars are a no go for those that drive long distances (500km+/300mi+), and even IF everybody swapped over to electrical nobody is going to be willing to stand in line for a couple of hours at the electric pump nor is the electric grid capable of handling such a influx while they keep closing down nuclear plants.

It's a regional short range solution at best, at least for the moment. Basically, a puddle jumper without wings.

If they really want to push everybody into a electric sh!tbox, then they better start building a LOT more nuclear plants now while they further develop battery technology until a car can be fully recharged in approx 5 minutes or less.

·
Registered
1995 W124 E320 Cabrio
187 Posts
I agree with everything discussed here--both by the OP and sbaert. We NEED to end fossil fuel emissions, and quick, but I won't be interested until I can have my Cabrio converted to an electric drive train that charges in (lets say an hour?). I often ponder the irony of the progressive argument that we should simply abandon our oil burners and buy new EVs, when the abandonment of said oil burners will create more waste than it reduces. The first company to license and offer retrofit of a universal electric drivetrain will be the next Amazon.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
I am a new member in this wonderful forum and a fan of Mercedes cars and I own W124 + W201 and I was thinking why do we share technical expertise from members who have engineering skills in the project of adding an electric motor and batteries to Mercedes cars to become hybrid like modern cars so that we do not give up our current cars that we love Actually we keep pace with the development and economy in gasoline expenses & Slow car advancement
Anyone have tried this idea, let us share our opinion and how it is possible
This is an idea that has been floating on my head for a while know, it would be AMAZING to see this, if you could keep the m104 engine and just add an electric motor and battery and get the engine to charge the battery. Also regenerative brakes would be great. The only issue is this will be beyond complicated and some serious modifications would need to be made. I was wondering is it possible to make a w124 more fuel efficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,624 Posts
An electric car is just a giant iphone with 4 wheels. Do you guys expect to charge your phone in 2 minutes?
Tesla tried to switch them out in orders of minutes in their stations but I'm not sure how well received that effort is going.

Latest Tesla vehicle has 400 mile range. Not very many people drive longer than 400 miles a day. That issue would be put to rest when they reach 500 mile range.

My issue with electric vehicles has to do more with e-waste and cost. Hopefully, manufacturers have figured out a way to recycle batteries with <10yrs life.
All solvable problems and we are at an inflection point on all this.

There is a nuclear plant out there in the sky that is sending us 1KW / square meter of energy 10 hours a day. And an Electric car is a perfect way to harness and store that power.

For full disclosure, I do not have an electric car (yet). I have two gasoline, 1 diesel, 1 hybrid in the household.
They all serve the purpose they are intended for when they were built.

Converting a W124 to all electric would be a fun project but it would be a ton of work. Hybrid is probably a waste of an effort as PN187 mentioned.

My 2 cents worth ....

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,242 Posts
I think the Tesla battery swap thing ran into a roadblock because they/you/somebody would have to keep track of your original battery for warranty purposes.

Just thinking about this a little bit, body swap on a totaled C-Class hybrid is prob most realistic if someone wants a hybrid W124. I'm guessing the wheelbase and overall length are fairly close.

Someone did something similar putting a W201 body on C63.

I also remember a standalone add-on EV motor thing that added a skinny motorcycle sized tire connected to a battery and speed control on the rear axle of a car making it a hybrid. That was at least 10-15 years ago. Don't think that went anywhere and would probably only work on a FWD car anyway.

We're kinda detracting a bit from the main query of this thread with the politics and practicality of EVs, but since it's a shitstorm anyway, here's a video about the life of li-ion batteries after storing power for cars.

Yes, it's a bit optimistic and I know that grates at the sensibilities of some of the board's most prolific posters.

·
Registered
1993 W124
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is an idea that has been floating on my head for a while know, it would be AMAZING to see this, if you could keep the m104 engine and just add an electric motor and battery and get the engine to charge the battery. Also regenerative brakes would be great. The only issue is this will be beyond complicated and some serious modifications would need to be made. I was wondering is it possible to make a w124 more fuel efficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi
This is exactly what I was looking for
Efficient + accelerate

·
Registered
1993 W124
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not thinking to convert it to fully electric car
I think we can just add an electric motor and battery and get the engine to charge the battery

1 - 20 of 34 Posts