Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2006 CLK350 for 2k Canadian. With the cheap price comes a long list of codes. The serial number is outside the balance shaft range so hopefully just sensors. On top of those engine codes has ESP warning and active lights deactivated warning.

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,534 Posts
I'm not sure why you think the engine is outside of the balance shaft problem range. All MY2006 CLK350's will be "in the range" since they didn't fix it until halfway through the MY2007 build. You can double check by plugging the VIN in here:

If the last eight digits of the engine serial number are below 30468993 (usually written with a space, like 30 468993 ) then it is in the range.

That P0016 is generally one of the symptoms of balance shaft sprocket failure. It corresponds to DTC 1208, although ti can be a few other DTCs (though none any less costly to fix than balance shaft replacment):

As for the other codes, they are all misfires, and likely unrelated to any problems with the balance shaft. When the balance shaft sprocket fails, it mimics a stretched timing chain, but the variable valve timing system can compensate for that and other than some chain-slap noise, there are no other symptoms besides the error codes. Of course if not repaired, eventually the chain can become damaged and break.

I would start be resolving the misfire codes. They are all on the right bank. Cylinder 1 is on the front, then 2 and 3 in the back. Some things to try are swapping coils and plugs with working cylinders. Do this one item and one cylinder at a time. If the fault moves with the swapped part, you have found the culprit at least for that cylinder). If it always stays with the same cylinders after all the swapping, then you could have another issue like a bad camshaft adjuster, bad wiring, bad ECU, etc.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,534 Posts
No, the serial number is not on top of the valve cover. That's a supplier's internal part number for the valve cover itself. The engine serial number is laser-etched onto the edge of the engine bell housing. It may be possible to see it from above, shining a light on it behind the right-bank valve cover. Unless the engine was replaced, it should match the data card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts