Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C240
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aunt used to have a 1978 Mercedes that, I believe, was a 280C (just going by memory). It was a 4-door, I remember. Now that I'm a Mercedes owner, I'm curious about how the size of her vehicle compares to my C240. Does anyone know the length/width of a 1978 280C? (WAS there even such a thing as a 1978 280C?)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The 280C is a gasoline-powered coupe, which is a 2-door car. Are you sure it's a four door?

Anyhow, the lengths are:

sedan: 4.848 meters
coupe: 4.763 meters

I think the body has just one size per type (sedan, coupe or wagon) but the engine may vary, unlike newer models that could have different lengths for each type of engine fitted.

·
Registered
2005 C240
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I know it was 4 door, that it was gasoline powered and had a 6 cylinder engine. I'm *pretty* sure that it had "280" on the back. I'm less sure about the "c". What was the designation for the sedan?

·
Registered
2005 C240
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't remember an "E" so it must have been just a plain 280. The length you gave for the sedan is slightly longer than today's E-class, and about 30 centimeters (1 foot) longer than my C240. That matches my memory. The older car seemed quite a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
postoak - 3/5/2005 7:58 PM

I don't remember an "E" so it must have been just a plain 280. The length you gave for the sedan is slightly longer than today's E-class, and about 30 centimeters (1 foot) longer than my C240. That matches my memory. The older car seemed quite a bit longer.
That's directly from my owner's manual and my car is the US version 300D turbo, with the large bulky bumpers. On a different source (a 230E blueprint), it says it's 4.830 meters, and I believe it's the European version with a towing hitch. Without the towing hitch, it's 4.725 meters.

So if that car had European bumpers (more slim and not bulky; the rubber strip is narrower too) then it might be 4.725 meters long.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
karugs - 3/6/2005 2:41 AM

I think the body has just one size per type (sedan, coupe or wagon) but the engine may vary, unlike newer models that could have different lengths for each type of engine fitted.
The coupe and the Sedan idd differ in size, but the sedan and the T-modell are exactly the same size normally.

greetz,

matteus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts