Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the Cali Lemon law? I found a great 2008 C350 going for $19,900, 38k mi. The guy who owns the dealership gave me a MB dealership service log (I forget off the top of my head what it's called exactly) that's for internal use only, details the cars visits- VIN Master Log? Something similar.

The original owner took the car in 4 times for service, and each time MB wrote "Could not verify customer's complaint," then bought back the car-- This was at 10k mi. The car hasn't been taken back to MB since (now at 38k mi), and has had 2 owners since--This leads me to believe that any problems have been taken care of or didn't exist in the first place.

According the the guy, cali's lemon laws are easily manipulated by people with buyer's remorse.

Test drove the car alone, and it felt completely solid- no problems flooring it, no noises on the surface streets/freeway.

I'm really considering buying this car and taking on the risk (and paying 2-3k for a reputable extd. warranty), but thought I'd ask the experts/current owners!

As a side note- I asked some questions regarding buying a C300 about 4 months ago- Had a very bad experience with the dealership, got discouraged, and settled on buying a 2011 Taurus Limited. Probably a bad idea- can't deny the heart what it really wants.

Thanks for any advice, knowlege, or comments!

Zach

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you want to learn about lemon laws so you can return the car if you don't like it?
Well, it'd be great if that was possible, but AZ's lemon laws aren't that forth coming on used vehicles. More so looking to hear from people who've had negative/positive outcomes from buying a previously bought-back Benz.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you should consider getting it inspected by a mechanic before you buy it. Someone else purchased a CPO vehicle and the car has been severely neglected!

Sludge in Engine, '09 C350 22K Miles - MBWorld.org Forums
Thanks for sharing that link- Scary thought... I'm a firm believer in getting a first oil change at 1-2k miles, then resuming the normal schedule. At least in my experience, a brand new car can have metal shavings-albeit unseeable to the eyes. Especially while the cylinders are breaking in. One ford truck I had for a month (borrowed from a family construction company while inbetween cars) had such bad sludge... I changed the oil 3 times in 1 week and each time only solid matter left the crank case. Good thing I didn't own that one :bowdown:

The dealership owner gave an a-okay on me driving it to a mechanic to have it checked out- MB in chandler, az quoted between $2-300 for a 2-300 point inspection.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Barolo Red P2 MM leather 18" AMGs new style folding mirrors + 1984 944
327 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Cali Lemon law? I found a great 2008 C350 going for $19,900, 38k mi. The guy who owns the dealership gave me a MB dealership service log (I forget off the top of my head what it's called exactly) that's for internal use only, details the cars visits- VIN Master Log? Something similar.

The original owner took the car in 4 times for service, and each time MB wrote "Could not verify customer's complaint," then bought back the car-- This was at 10k mi. The car hasn't been taken back to MB since (now at 38k mi), and has had 2 owners since--This leads me to believe that any problems have been taken care of or didn't exist in the first place.

According the the guy, cali's lemon laws are easily manipulated by people with buyer's remorse.

Test drove the car alone, and it felt completely solid- no problems flooring it, no noises on the surface streets/freeway.

I'm really considering buying this car and taking on the risk (and paying 2-3k for a reputable extd. warranty), but thought I'd ask the experts/current owners!

As a side note- I asked some questions regarding buying a C300 about 4 months ago- Had a very bad experience with the dealership, got discouraged, and settled on buying a 2011 Taurus Limited. Probably a bad idea- can't deny the heart what it really wants.

Zach
On that internal-only record of services, does the previous owner's name appear?. If so, you could track him down and find out why the lemon law was activated.

·
Registered
2009 MB C300 Sport 4Matic (W204)
42 Posts
Just the fact that you would be the 4th owner with under 40k miles would be a sign not to buy it IMO. If 3 other owners have not been happy with it what says that you will be.

·
Registered
2014 E350W4
125 Posts

Zach
The dealer showed you the cars VMI (vehicle master inquiry). Lemon laws do not apply to used cars. Good luck

·
Registered
2014 E350W4
125 Posts

Zach
The dealer showed you the cars VMI (vehicle master inquiry). Lemon laws do not apply to used cars. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Heard that sad story before, buyer doesn't like experience at a certain dealership so they end up buying a car that they don't want at all, amazing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts