Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys !
A week ago my left front driver tire start give the loud knock or thump ... over bump .. and it feels that it's kind of upper control arm hitting the body...
And what's weird every time when I drive with my right tire over pothole it absorb soft while left tire "hitting" something or thump sound ..every time I drove over ...
And my left Shock is leaking... its roughly only 1 year old Shock .
Any ideas ? Why left tire get affected by right tire ? Every time I drive over bump my tire hit the body looks like ...

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,342 Posts
Hi guys !
A week ago my left front driver tire start give the loud knock or thump ... over bump .. and it feels that it's kind of upper control arm hitting the body...
And what's weird every time when I drive with my right tire over pothole it absorb soft while left tire "hitting" something or thump sound ..every time I drove over ...
And my left Shock is leaking... its roughly only 1 year old Shock .
Any ideas ? Why left tire get affected by right tire ? Every time I drive over bump my tire hit the body looks like ...
Check your sway bar links and mounts. The sway bar is connected to both the left and right lower control arms. Also, you will need to replace the left shock if it's leaking.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Btw I have 4matic...4magic doesn't have links
It only have sway bar .. I replaced sway bar bushings 1 year ago ...

·
Registered
99 w210 4matic wagon
19 Posts
shocks can fail. they can fail early as well. see if theres a warranty on yours. there is only one supplier of front shocks for 4matic 210 chassis, they are Bilstein mono tube. when the seals fail and the shock fluid leaks out there is a piston that separates the fluid from the nitrogen pressure volume. as the fluid leaks out, the piston ends up closer and closer to the bottom of the end of the shaft that you see sticking out the top of the shock body. this means that as the fluid leaks out, you'll hear the clunk on smaller and smaller bumps.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes ...yesterday I removed the tire ..and everything seems tight.. but only strut is leaking. Thank you!
I just replaced them last year ... it took me 4 days... I was struggle with rusty nuts and axle shafts.. they stuck also ...
What bothers me is the job.. it's a 4matic..its not like rear wheel drive w210
This is stressing me out to remove everything to replace front shock in a 4matic ! Unbelievable! Mercedes mechanics at dealership hate this kind of job In a W210 4matic.
Thanks for answer !

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts