Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S350 Diesel
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 S350 Turbodiesel. I've been around for a year, and I'm very thankful for all the help so far. Unfortunately, the first pictures I'm going to post of my car are from the breakdown lane on the highway.

Well... I was taking the family to breakfast this morning when I thought I was losing acceleration. I was about a mile from the start of some construction, so I pulled over right away, and tried to diagnose by the side of the road.

Turns out I had broken my throttle linkage, the piece pictured below. With no throttle, I called for a tow for me, and called my sister in law to pick up the family.

This may be the only part on the car without a part number stamped into it. Any part experts or diesel experts care to help me identify it so I know what to order? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow, but I'm curious if anyone knows how to find it before then.

This is part of the mount for the throttle linkage, and on my car is bolted to the bottom of the intake manifold.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,423 Posts
Did you know that MB has a free service for all MB's anywhere in the US? It's called Roadside Assistance, and you can access it by calling 800-ForMerc(edes). They will tow your car for free to any local dealership at any time of the day or night.

I had to call them on Christmas Day one year when, while at the pharmacy, I couldn't start my ML55 to get to my in-laws. They came out within an hour of calling them, replaced my battery in the parking lot, and I was on my way, paying them ONLY for the cost of the battery, no labor. On Christmas DAY!

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Did you know that MB has a free service for all MB's anywhere in the US? It's called Roadside Assistance, and you can access it by calling 800-ForMerc(edes). They will tow your car for free to any local dealership at any time of the day or night.

I had to call them on Christmas Day one year when, while at the pharmacy, I couldn't start my ML55 to get to my in-laws. They came out within an hour of calling them, replaced my battery in the parking lot, and I was on my way, paying them ONLY for the cost of the battery, no labor. On Christmas DAY!

Highly recommended.
does the car have to be within some kind of warranty to have that kind of free service? i saw that manual in my owner's manual package, but it just sounds too good to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1995 S350 Diesel
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Stryker-
While I can appreciate your staunch support of the services provided by the MB Dealers and service centers, I really enjoy working on my cars. That's part of the fun of ownership for me.

I'm looking for help identifying the part, so I can get back to work. I know that the service dep't will be able to identify the part when I call, but I'm asking in case someone like me (who enjoys working on their cars themselves) knows a part number for me. Or some folks like the challenge of finding a part number. who knows.

Thanks for your "standard" dealership reply, but I plan on fixing this myself. I was just curious if someone here would be able to help identify the part.

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
It ain't free anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

If you haven't spent at least $100 in repairs (parts don't count!) at the dealership within the last calendar year they will charge you for a service call plus labour.

I called last December when my battery was dead after only 2 years and was told that:

1. The battery is only warrantied for 12 months

2. The service call would be $90 plus the normal labour rate times 1.5 ($115 per hour)

3. The new battery would be $225.

So I said $crew it and took a cab ($25) to Autozone, bought their best battery(with a 5 year prorated warranty) for $125 (on sale) and put it in myself.

I would say your best bet would be to join AAA. Even an OLF at my dealership is $150!!!!!

·
Registered
1995 S350 Diesel
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AAA or "tow insurance" are still more expensive than the one time per year I need a tow. I have more than one car for a reason. Any 17 year old car will need occasional maintenance.

:rolleyes:
Forget I asked. ;)

I'll call the dealer tomorrow to try to identify and order the part.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,423 Posts
Ooops, ok, sorry, didn't intend to offer a solution that runs counter to your joy. Just thought you wanted a solution.

As for the services go, that applies to ANY Mercedes, warranty or not.

And for those so inclined, it would be a help to you to register your ownership with MBUSA (it's free!), as they will identify you when you call the 800-number if you call from the number you register. IOW, when I call them, they answer 'Hello Mr. Stryker'. And they have my ownership and cars' history in front of them. Very helpful, especially when our cars are now well OUT OF WARRANTY.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
But ONLY if you have had $100 worth of repairs done at a dealer.

Also if you have AAA it's good no matter which car is down. Mercedes roadside will ONLY be good on the car or cars that you have had serviced at the dealer.

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
Looking at the EPC, it looks like if that lever is at the top of the vertical throttle linkage rod, the part number is A603 072 06 01. You can set up a free account to look at the parts catalogue here.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Wow thanks for the info Stryker. I need to look into this. It's awesome; just another way that Mercedes distinguishes themselves from a lot of the competition.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I'm not saying it's a bad programme, and I don't know of any other company that has anything similar but you need to know the rules before you count on it.

I would however like to add that I bought my 500SEL from the local dealer USED in 2002 which would qualify it for the roadside assistance programme (cars purchased before 2011). However when I called, the lady I spoke to said that only applied to cars purchased NEW. When I talked to my salesman he pulled up the website and said "It should have applied". I called MBUSA and was told the website should say NEW cars not USED. It still does not specify NEW.

Parts do NOT count. Call MBUSA for verification.

·
Registered
694 Posts
On that link that Stryker posted, it only distinguishes between in and out of warranty and defines "regularly serviced" as $100 in 18 months. They almost certainly assume the reader understands that it only applies to the original owner. If not, almost seems too good to be true but again MB likes to stand alone.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
If they counted parts purchases I'd be in a few times over :)
(a single transaction of at least $100 in the 18 months prior to the Roadside call)
my take is that parts count, so long as it is a transaction over $100 it counts.
dude, i should have asked them to help me a couple days ago when my car wouldn't start.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Well I wish you all luck.....

just make sure you have a back up plan

and just so you know prior to last year it didn't matter who you bought the car from or when it was covered and no purchase was necessary. The service was free.

I guess the bean counters in New Jersey decided they were losing too much money.

·
Registered
1995 S350 Diesel
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks 95Scoupe, that's exactly what I was looking for, and now that I have the link to EPC, I won't offend the sensibilities of others when I ask for parts help.

Thanks glenlloyd, I was only ~10 miles from home. The embarrassment of the breakdown lane (with my wife, 18 month old daughter, and mother-in-law) was much worse than the cost of the tow.

Thanks for the info Stryker, but I haven't spent $100 in service in the last year, so it wouldn't have done me much good. For anyone who does, it seems like a great service. And it makes great business sense for MB as well. The more you spend at the dealer, the more likely they are to provide additional service at a discount.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts