Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MB 280SEL 1894
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I recently aquired a MB 280 SEL w126 1984. Most of it works fine but suddenly the left side of the cluster started to do show all the gauges to the max (fuel tank, engine temperature and oil temperature).
They were working fine before but now they go all the way up as soon as i turn the key and stays the same as I start the engine. I've taken all the fuses out and cleaned the fuse box contacts.
This started after I took the cluster out to check the dash lights but everything is connected the same way back.
If this has already been solved please let me know where to find the solution.

Thank you all!

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,603 Posts
This sounds like a ground issue to me. I'd probably reinspect the cluster and make sure anything that looks like a ground looks like it's in the right place and in good shape.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,481 Posts
Unfortunately I know what's happened, I think.

Did you disconnect the battery before you removed the cluster? The slightest touch of the clock power wire on the rear metal parts, even for a second, is enough to do this.

My solution was a replacement used left pod. And remembering to disconnect the battery next time.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,556 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery before you removed the cluster? The slightest touch of the clock power wire on the rear metal parts, even for a second, is enough to do this.

My solution was a replacement used left pod. And remembering to disconnect the battery next time.

Whoa! I’m gonna pull mine at some point. And I doubt I would have disconnected the battery first! This probably saved me from a huge headache!

·
Registered
MB 280SEL 1894
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Actually yes, after I pulled it I disconnected the battery so probably that was the problem. I guess I should start looking for another cluster.
Thanks a lot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts