Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1980 380 SE (Euro)
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i believe my left rear shock absorber collapsed... i went over a rather steep hill at 50 mph, and hit a slight bump afterwards, it caused something to dislodge and *CLUNK*... then something fell off the car.

it's still able to drive, and looks pretty straight, but instead of replacing the shocks (rear) my parents (it's legally their car...) think it's time to let go of her... i'll get back to you guys about it.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
take pics. is it sagging and bouncing? if all else fails, get a new car that suits you well. it can be very stressful maintaining an older car. let alone a car like a mercedes benz which is always hungry for attention.. :rolleyes:

i've recently been looking at the toyota yaris hatchback.

37mpg city/40mpg highway
1.5L DOHC 16 valve VVTi
109hp
2200lbs
$12,000

i drive ALOT. pretty much all day.. so something small, gas efficient, nimble, with a little bit of sportiness like the yaris would be a great investment for me. plus, it'd free up plenty of time for me to continue modifying/restoring my W126 without putting tons of miles on it. and a side note, my girlfriend of 2 years says thier "cute". win/win

·
Registered
1980 380 SE (Euro)
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea dude... i know.. they're a pain in the ass... but i feel like i owe this car a new life... i've abused the hell out of it. (taking corners incredibly fast on 27 year old suspension... yeah...)

she's already survived THREE engine transplants... i think i'll hop around the junkyard to see if i can actually pull off 2 good shocks...

i'm planning to get a miata in the summer as a DD (and for the canyons), and use the benz as a cruiser... or back up car just incase i do mess up the miata.

and it's always win when the girls think your car is cute ^_^

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
mmmMMMMMmm :D

an MX5 miata would be awesome. i've always wanted one.. just never got around to it and the SCCA spec miata series is waaaay too competitive for my budget.. but wow. they can be made into moster slayers. very affordable running costs too. alot of people talk shit on them and keep of the steriotype of "chick car", but thats when you know they are iggnorant. with the aero headlights, and a fiberglass hardtop, they completely transform. then with an stage 4 'ubercharger', you'll be struggling to keep traction under load, but you can carve corners at F1 speeds! don't feel bad about postponing the progress on your 126 if you do find another car. in the long run it will pay off cause you'll end up having more available money to fix the 126 with what you've saved in the running cost of a miata.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts