Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys if this has been asked before I apologize. Im in Iraq and the internet is slow. Right before I left I noticed the left rear i seal is leaking on my 404. It leaked onto the rim from the center of the spindle I guess. Im pretty sure there is a seal that needs to be replaced. Is it hard and time consuming and expensive? Or is it cheap and easy? I know this may not make sense. if it is confusing Ill try to explain better.
Thanks guys.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
Hey guys if this has been asked before I apologize. Im in Iraq and the internet is slow.
BIG thanks for your service to us American's. Also, thanks for your service to all the other good folk in the rest of the world who bennefit from our presence Iraq.
before I left I noticed the left rear i seal is leaking on my 404. ... Is it hard and time consuming and expensive? Or is it cheap and easy? ...
Sometimes they leak from lack of use. When it starts getting used again the whole seal gets oiled and swells a little and seals itself. I call that EASY:D

Been there done that.

Now if your going to go the hard way and do a Remove Replace of the seal.... In the ULTIMATE MOG STICKY at the top of this forum is a link to threads on the R&R of the outer hub seal.

Yeah it can be a bit of a PITA according to what I've read. difficulty all comes down to your ability to make or get a hub puller for the job.

·
Registered
388 Posts
???:confused:???? How is that relevant?
Bigger mogs have a bolt on hub - not pushed onto a recalcitrant flange, oo-er.

Anyway, hubs. Been there.

They're either easy or not - when you try yours you'll find out! (some hubs come off easy, some don't). The hub is pressed onto the little stub axle in the portal box - it's like pushing something onto a lego axle bar! Once they're removed, there is a rubber seal (with a spring retainer) attached to the portal box that the hub spins in, keeping the oil in place.

Getting the seal out is easy, as is pushing the new one in (I found an appropriate sized paint tin), getting the hub back on is fairly easy. Getting the hub off is the challenge - depends on use, care and condition. Ma Benz make a threaded puller, but they're rare and spendy.

A variety of home made pullers have been created :-

This

Is the original and best home hack puller, and has worked on 6 of the 8 hubs I've removed.

This, on the other hand

Is what happens when you get to plan "F" for the other two.

The whole sorry story is here - Buggering about with the hubs

good luck mate,

jim

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't know much about 404s, but my 1979 Case 406 right rear hub was leaking due to the 10 big bolts in the center of the hub being loose. Those bolts take a lot of ft/lbs of torque - something like 200+ if I remember correctly. I tightened all the bolts to the proper amount and my leak went away.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I get home in May I will check it out. Thanks guys I appreciate your help once more. I miss my mog. I cant wait to take the top off this summer and drive around.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
???:confused:???? How is that relevant?

It's just a comment referring to the relative ease of changing an outer protal seal on a disc braked mog,and not having to pull the hubs.

Outer seal takes approx 30 mins.

Relevant or not,you decide.

Good luck to the OP with getting it sorted!

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
It's just a comment referring to the relative ease of changing an outer protal seal on a disc braked mog,and not having to pull the hubs.
Another poster explained the relevance already. Makes since now. Turned into a good little side lesson in differences in axle designs

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dude,

Yes - it's gear oil - the type isn't as crucial as the tranny (GL4) or diffs (GL5) - it's a fairly low impact gearbox with no hypoid gears. I can go and look, but if it'll wait till may, maybe I'll do it later.

jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts