Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the window down cruising around. I stopped by the bank and pushed the switch to run the window up, aaaaaand . . nothing. The right side is working fine. I tried swapping the switches. The left side switch operates the right window, so thats not it. It couldn't be something simple.

I looked for the wiring diagram for the power windows in the online manual. It says "Next Index". There doesn't appear to be a next index. Does anyone know where I can find the wiring diagram for the power windows for an 83 107?

Does anyone have any pointers on trouble shooting the power windows?

For now I have removed the door panel. Unbolted the glass from the regulator and I have found that I could "pin" the glass in the up position with a skinny screw driver through an upper glass bolt access hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,754 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link to --> Model 107 Maintenance Manual Index This has a much better user interface with greatly improved navigation over the one from Mercedes.

It appears that the window motor is bi-directional so one should be able to check the continuity across the two input wires. With a volt meter I should get +/- 12 volts depending which way the switch is toggled.

I will also recheck the F4 fuse again to be sure its okay.

Thanks for the excellent help. I wanted to be sure of what the problem is before I ordered any parts.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
It appears that the window motor is bi-directional so one should be able to check the continuity across the two input wires. With a volt meter I should get +/- 12 volts depending which way the switch is toggled.
It's been a while, but I think you need to measure from either side to ground. Not across the motor input wires.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a few tests this is what I found.

1) I tested the continuity across the motor. The motor it has continuity.
2) I tested the voltage on the inner door wires that the motor connects to and by operated by the switch. I get 12 volts with the switch for the up side and -12volts for the going down.
3) I then tested the motor under the hood where the battery cable comes in. I connected black to ground and touched the green to the battery cable. The motor runs. It would even rock to one side when voltage is applied.
3a) I then reversed polarity. The motor runs in the opposite direction, also with a little rocking action.
I'm thinking at this point this is all very strange.
4) I then used alligator clip test leads and connected the motor to the door wires and operated the switch. The motor works. It rotates both directions.
5) I remount the motor on the regulator and remount the regulator with the window attached. I operated the switch. The window goes up and down.

One thing I did do was to clean off the oxidation off the wire terminals and applied some silicon di-electric grease to the terminals. They were pretty oxidized.

After it all was said and done. No expense today. I did get a good look at the inside of the door. It was nice and clean with only a hint of surface rust at the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
It could be that the thermal overload switch which is inside the motor reset itself. It is designed to do that. It can overload if you hold the switch on for too long after the window is up or down.

Glad to hear problem corrected itself.

PS: Been through this on my W123.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could be that the thermal overload switch which is inside the motor reset itself. It is designed to do that. It can overload if you hold the switch on for too long after the window is up or down.

Glad to hear problem corrected itself.

PS: Been through this on my W123.
Thermal overload? That would explain a lot. It was mid-afternoon here in SW Utah when it refused to work. I'm going to cautiously wait and watch.

Oh. The engineer that designed the door panel should have been recycled through college. What a pain to put back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
roncallo
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing