1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Hey Detane!

I have some LED tail lights on order for my ML too.:)

Mine aren't smoked as my truck is black and I don't like the black on black look too much.

As for how bright they are; pretty bright since the red LED part of the smoked lights aren't darkened.

Not sure as to how bright the turn signal and reverse lights will be since that is the part of the assembly that is smoked.

I have these on order:

eBay Motors: Mercedes Benz W163 ML 98-05 LED Red/Clear Tail Lights (item 250398426858 end time Apr-28-09 17:01:30 PDT)

Here is a picture of 2002+ model year smoked tail lights on:

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Detane!

I have some LED tail lights on order for my ML too.:)

Mine aren't smoked as my truck is black and I don't like the black on black look too much.

As for how bright they are; pretty bright since the red LED part of the smoked lights aren't darkened.

Not sure as to how bright the turn signal and reverse lights will be since that is the part of the assembly that is smoked.

I have these on order:

eBay Motors: Mercedes Benz W163 ML 98-05 LED Red/Clear Tail Lights (item 250398426858 end time Apr-28-09 17:01:30 PDT)

Here is a picture of 2002+ model year smoked tail lights on:

Yup..Same lights.. They are charging you too much for shipping though. The ones I found are $137 w/ free shipping. These are $130 plus $20 for shipping.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.. Thanks for the pics man.. Now I feel safe in buying the lights too.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2007 S550, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
FWIW...I found the same lights on fleabay for $99 with free shipping about 4 months ago. Keep looking and you may find a better deal.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Yup..Same lights.. They are charging you too much for shipping though. The ones I found are $137 w/ free shipping. These are $130 plus $20 for shipping.
Oh yes, I do know that they appear more expensive (i.e. shipping is not free with the retailer I am purchasing from) but they are the only retailer of these lights I could find on Ebay who do INTERNATIONAL shipping to West Africa.

I checked and equivalent independent shipping to West Africa with UPS or the United States Postal Service is $150+

This retailer charges $50 for shipping to West Africa.

So you can see; I am actually saving money!:)

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
These do look interesting. In fact my friend was critiquing my truck and her observation was that I needed to put the updated lights in back to match the front projectors. I'm just a little skeptical about buying aftermarket stuff like this from fleabay. Which leads me to these questions...

How is the quality of these lights? (Are they as bad as some people's experiences with headlights?) Which lights are LED and which are incandescent? How is the fit? (I know some people complained of units with an unsightly gap.)

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
These do look interesting. In fact my friend was critiquing my truck and her observation was that I needed to put the updated lights in back to match the front projectors. I'm just a little skeptical about buying aftermarket stuff like this from fleabay. Which leads me to these questions...

How is the quality of these lights? (Are they as bad as some people's experiences with headlights?) Which lights are LED and which are incandescent? How is the fit? (I know some people complained of units with an unsightly gap.)
Hey Boca,

I did some research on this and can answer a few of your questions:

ONLY the brake lights at the top of the assembly and the park lights are LED - The turn signal and reverse lights are not.:crybaby2:

The quality is not OEM and there is a slight gap in relation to fitness but nothing that would be unsightly.

There are some threads with pictures which I looked at and reproduce below:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
More (the 1st picture is MJ50's old ML350 which he kindly sent to me so I could see his Monoblock VI wheels - He also has LED rear lights):

Attachments

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Those look like cahek/alex_l's pictures when he did that. I was hoping that maybe they've improved on them since then. Oh well.

edit: so close, it was MJ50's...

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Acknowledgements

Okay, as a lawyer I am aware of copyright issues so I want to thank & acknowledge:

Cahek/Alex for the use of his pictures in posts #9 & #10 above;
Ian Turner for the use of his picture in post #2 above and;
MJ50 for the use of his picture in post #10 above

Cheers!:thumbsup:

:beerchugr:

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Those are nice lilghts both quality and function wise. And for the price they are great value. However do not rush to get rid of your old OEM lights. I went back to facelift OEM lights few months ago. Not that something was wrong with LED but so many cars around were having them that they started losing their original appeal for me. I still use my third LED brake light though.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Those are nice lilghts both quality and function wise. And for the price they are great value. However do not rush to get rid of your old OEM lights. I went back to facelift OEM lights few months ago. Not that something was wrong with LED but so many cars around were having them that they started losing their original appeal for me. I still use my third LED brake light though.
For me it's not so much about the LED's (even though I'm an LED fiend) but about the look of the new lenses. However, these ebay ones are cheaper than just getting the stock lenses... and they have LED's too.

I thought some of those pictures were yours. That's what I was referring to in the edit. I remembered when you got them.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
....I thought some of those pictures were yours. That's what I was referring to in the edit. I remembered when you got them.
They are/were Alex's pictures apart from the picture of the smoked LED tail light and MJ50's three quarter length side view shot.

Thanks for not suing me Alex:)

Your pictures persuaded me to purchase my LEDs -The fitment and quality is not bad at all!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
Boca,

I would get LED because they are cheap. Plus they add to the look. You will see yourself how refreshingly new ML will look! I was later able to get stock facellift lights off ebay even cheaper than LED. Just watch them.

FAR,

Now that you mentioned the fitment I remember that although on pictures they look okay, they are in fact a little bit smaller than the OEM lights. Welll at least 2006 generation of them. They will seat a mil or two deeper than original lights. Not noticeable to untrained eye and definately not the reason not to buy them but just so you know.

As for the suing thing it was funny when one of the members pointed once to the website where seller used my pics to sell their lights. I dropped him a line and he agreed to paypal me a few quid which we then split :)

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
..FAR,....although on pictures they look okay, they are in fact a little bit smaller than the OEM lights. Welll at least 2006 generation of them. They will seat a mil or two deeper than original lights. Not noticeable to untrained eye and definately not the reason not to buy them but just so you know.
Thanks for the caveat Alex - I agree wholeheartedly that the LEDs will freshen up the look of the ML and that the fitment issue is not really a reason not to buy. Mine are on order and I can't wait for them to arrive!:D

As for the suing thing it was funny when one of the members pointed once to the website where seller used my pics to sell their lights. I dropped him a line and he agreed to paypal me a few quid which we then split :)
Nice one mate!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Now that you mentioned the fitment I remember that although on pictures they look okay, they are in fact a little bit smaller than the OEM lights. Welll at least 2006 generation of them. They will seat a mil or two deeper than original lights. Not noticeable to untrained eye and definately not the reason not to buy them but just so you know.
This is making it a little easier to pay up. I'm also wondering if they've made them fit any better with the new smoked lenses/newer models. Ugh. I hate these decisions.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
This is making it a little easier to pay up. I'm also wondering if they've made them fit any better with the new smoked lenses/newer models. Ugh. I hate these decisions.
I'd say get them and see if you're happy with the outcome. If not just return back to seller stating the reason. You're covered with paypal anyway so what do you lose? ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts