21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
70 Posts
I
I agree leds = lower temp.

But:

I my self have not encountered this on either of our mls but it probably goes with how long you leave your dome light on. Ours usually long enough to get in and start it, we don’t sit in it reading war and peace cover to cover.

As to tail lights I have never seen one deformed due to heat. Saw an ml fog light melted in the yard but they had modified it to a higher wattage bulb.

I did have on my GMC A.R.E cap a poorly designed switched dome light. Went through 3 under warranty they kept melting with the bulb they were designed for if left on for more then ten minutes. I just removed it though I would like to find an led switched strip light.

I do think LEDs have there place, just don’t think they are needed in tail lights and turn signals.
I haven’t seen any deformed or discolored primary W163 taillights, (The center light is a different story) but I’ve seen enough burned-up taillight lenses on other vehicles to have a strong aversion to mixing incandescent bulb heat and plastic.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,086 Posts
I

I haven’t seen any deformed or discolored primary W163 taillights, (The center light is a different story) but I’ve seen enough burned-up taillight lenses on other vehicles to have a strong aversion to mixing incandescent bulb heat and plastic.
Sam
I think half that issue is; "Well it fit"

I as a small part of my job I manage some apartments. When a resident moves in I make sure smoke detectors and all fixtures have the proper bulbs. I don't know how many times I have put in 60 watt incandescent bulbs in
according to the fixture label, only to find later after they move out the light is not working and the wiring is so crisp it snaps like a twig, why because they put in a 75 or 100w bulb. Well it fits! Oh some of these fixtures were pretty new as well 5 years old.

Here is where led bulbs have helped.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
70 Posts
Sam
I think half that issue is; "Well it fit"

I as a small part of my job I manage some apartments. When a resident moves in I make sure smoke detectors and all fixtures have the proper bulbs. I don't know how many times I have put in 60 watt incandescent bulbs in
according to the fixture label, only to find later after they move out the light is not working and the wiring is so crisp it snaps like a twig, why because they put in a 75 or 100w bulb. Well it fits! Oh some of these fixtures were pretty new as well 5 years old.

Here is where led bulbs have helped.
There’s a lot of truth in that, but there are some lenses that are notorious for cooking into brittle junk even with the correct bulbs installed. I have a 77 Corvette, it’s almost impossible to find an original C3 taillight lens/housing that isn’t trash. Reproductions are made from better plastics, but cutting down on heat is still a good idea.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,307 Posts
Often times LEDs in the brake lights can interfere with systems like ABS, cruise control, and traction control. Has anyone had issues like this with LED brake bulbs in their 163?

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,802 Posts
Often times LEDs in the brake lights can interfere with systems like ABS, cruise control, and traction control. Has anyone had issues like this with LED brake bulbs in their 163?
Never had an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,307 Posts
Good to know. I'll install some extras I have laying around. In the past I've had to run a small incandescent bulb in parallel with LED bulbs in brake lights to avoid/alleviate system errors.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,307 Posts
Put the LEDs in taillights and brake lights couple days ago. No issues other than rear fog indicator which is not ideal, but I can live with it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts