Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult would it be to replace the bulbs in the reading lights with LEDs? Basically, I know how to remove the reading lights and the bulbs and everything...but would it be feasible to replace them with the 'mega bright' LEDs or would that not work? I plan on replacing the lighting on the dashboard to something a little brighter than the dim filament bulbs. (Something like on the BMW dashes with the Orange LEDs providing the backlight). Would LED's work in the place of the regular bulbs in the door courtesy lights, etc?

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Are you referring to replacing the bulb with an led bulb or putting a custom board with leds on it in the light housing. The led bulbs actually put out less usable light than traditional incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Perhaps replace the tired old incandescent lights with halogens? or would heat be too much of a problem?

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
deathrattle - 2/10/2005 4:00 AM

Certainly the heat would be too much-you could easily start a fire.If you replace with fresh stadard bulbs you should see a vast improvement in brightness.
Hahaha, what? Heat? LED's?

There are several ultra bright LEDs that will easily put out enough light for a reading light. You'll need to figure out what size resistor you need to hook it up to the 12v power supply too. $0.50 later, you've got a light.

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
He said Halogen.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
danwatt - 2/10/2005 12:34 PM

Certainly the heat would be too much-you could easily start a fire.If you replace with fresh stadard bulbs you should see a vast improvement in brightness.

There are several ultra bright LEDs that will easily put out enough light for a reading light. You'll need to figure out what size resistor you need to hook it up to the 12v power supply too. $0.50 later, you've got a light.
It is misleading but I think deathrattle was referring to the halogens.

Is there a benefit for using LED interior lights in a car aside from low energy consumption and bulbs possibly outlasting the car?

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts

Don't believe the hype, leds do produce heat, in some cases more than traditional halogen based bulbs. But back to the domelites, buy some Polarg superwhites, you will not be dissappointed. If you really want led bulbs I can find the website which has them in the 44mm and 41mm bulbs our car use.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
naomilla - 2/10/2005 4:05 PM

It is misleading but I think deathrattle was referring to the halogens.

Is there a benefit for using LED interior lights in a car aside from low energy consumption and bulbs possibly outlasting the car?
Firstly, sorry, I was skimming through the thread and didn't notice.

And you can get unidirectional LEDS that focus a narrow beam (the radius of the beam spreads out as the distance from the LED increases), so other drivers (and yourself) will not be as distracted, as the entire interior of the car will not be lit up.

Also, I do a ton of electrical work, and I've never encountered an LED that produced more heat then a halogen of similar brightness. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
Hello, all!

This is the solution I decided on... a pair of Littlite L-5/18LED gooseneck lamps mounted on the rear deck between the compartments. The lamps can be switched to a dim red light or a quite bright but focused "true white" light - they do not distort colors like some other LED lights. I got them from a professional audio supplier for less than $50 each, IIRC. The 18-inch gooseneck lets you put the light where you need it without disturbing the other passengers. I love 'em!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts