Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my speedo from MPH to KPH and have purchased a full set of white dial facias to do the job (no instructions included). These are lit by LEDs integral to the dial and are powered via a small transformer. I have removed the cluster and there is just one plug behind to pick up power for the transformer from as it is a digital dash, See Picture. Can anyone advise what colour wire is for ilumination and which is the earth. Has anyone done this before? would it be better to take the power direct from the light switch instead? if so again what colour wire to pick up from. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Just take a test light and probe the connector for power with the lights on. The ground should be black. also try checking the plastic circuit board on the back of the cluster to find the common ground. there will be a few traces returning to that pin location.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you think, Cool or Cheesy?

I have fitted the new dial covers and cant make up my mind if they are cool or cheesy. I need to leave them on until the car is exported and gets type approval but they can then easily come off. The lighting is variable through green and blue and can be adjusted for brightness. As the car is blue I am thinking cool at the moment. There are a couple of things that are not quite right aswell which may start to bug me. Oddometer is blocked but can be read at the right angle, oil temp is now oil level which is an older type of guage so the reading is meaningless. The wire colour for illumination was grey if anyone is interested and I found an earthing stud directly behind the cluster on the bulkhead.

Attachments

·
Registered
C 230 K-96 sold,SL 500-92 sold, 500E(under restoration, and sold) S500L designo
145 Posts
You have bought the wrong set. This set you bought is made for cars -90-94. Try to get it changed.
Psycho

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
Those guages looks awsome!!!!
Where did you get them from?
Can it directly replace my 2002 guages?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tech tune, I got them on E-Bay, see link, There are several types on offer from time to time. The ones I got were the closest to my 99 digital dash, there were several for the older analoge dash with different speed ranges. As this was going to be a quick fix I was not to worried if they were not an exact match for mine. They can easily come off. I am now growing to like them a lot and am thinking to take a sharp Knife to the bit covering the oddometer and then maybe keep them on. This could be bad news as the led`s are all within and you cannot see if you would cut a curcuit. The Oil level / Temp I can live with. To fit is quite simple, remove cluster, open to expose front of dials then just overlay new facias. There are wires from each new dial face that need to be routed to the edge and then out. I made small slits in the back of the cluster by the 2 screws holing the front perpex to the back. Its then a simple case of connecting all the plugs to a small control box. then just pick up the earth and light feed. A small self adheasive control pad is supplied which changes colours and light. level chttp://stores.ebay.co.uk/Powerstyling-Shop

·
Registered
sl320,600SL,230GE
52 Posts
I've got a brand new set for sale. Still in box, never installed, it's in KMH. Only because I use these...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I'm interested.
I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For those who took an interest in my pics / dials, thanks for the nice comments. I have had a quick look through E-Bay and found
Plasma Tacho Tachoscheiben Mercedes W129 W140 300Km/h bei eBay Innenausstattung, Auto-Tuning -Styling, Auto Motorrad Teile (endet 26.08.07 19:25:36 MESZ)
JP Plasmatacho Mercedes W129 W140 Plasma Tachoscheiben bei eBay Innenausstattung, Auto-Tuning -Styling, Auto Motorrad Teile (endet 26.08.07 19:56:04 MESZ)

There are many sellers and they come in MPH and KPH flavours. Search for PLASMA in auto section

Dump those orange bulbs and get a more modern look which can easily be reversed if you need

Attachments

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I like the guages in the second auction. Do you know how I can get them in MPH? I dont understand German and dont know if he will respond to my question.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cant help with German, sorry. Maybe try Babelfish or google translator. They sell on the UK e-bay site too. Why not ask in english, Many Germans speak fluent English. You will need to keep trawling for the different flavors as they pop up frequently

·
Registered
N/A
178 Posts
agh, that stuff is not LED and most definately NOT plasma - its EL.

EL stands for electroluminescent, not the greatest technology but hey, people use it. Here's some info off of wiki: Electroluminescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honda-kidz have been putting this stuff in their gauges for over 10 years now, I've never been a fan of it because it looks cheap and doesnt provide crisp clean light output. But, stock is not so good either. Ideally, a custom LED conversion would make the OE gauges light up beautifully.. but its a big job and takes a lot of work.

Reliability for EL is hit or miss. We have customers who constantly have failure problems with their EL components, typically used in things like side-sill plates which glow. 300ZX owners use them in their rear center panels, again.. the inverters fail all the time. Depending on the exposure, sometimes the EL itself fails and delaminates.

My biggest beef is color. A good color gauge should use either red or amber color, as those are the least tiring colors on the eye, and easiest to read. Blue is the worst color, as its very hard to read and takes time for the eye to focus.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
old_s13 said:
agh, that stuff is not LED and most definately NOT plasma - its EL.

EL stands for electroluminescent, not the greatest technology but hey, people use it. Here's some info off of wiki: Electroluminescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honda-kidz have been putting this stuff in their gauges for over 10 years now, I've never been a fan of it because it looks cheap and doesnt provide crisp clean light output. But, stock is not so good either. Ideally, a custom LED conversion would make the OE gauges light up beautifully.. but its a big job and takes a lot of work.

Reliability for EL is hit or miss. We have customers who constantly have failure problems with their EL components, typically used in things like side-sill plates which glow. 300ZX owners use them in their rear center panels, again.. the inverters fail all the time. Depending on the exposure, sometimes the EL itself fails and delaminates.

My biggest beef is color. A good color gauge should use either red or amber color, as those are the least tiring colors on the eye, and easiest to read. Blue is the worst color, as its very hard to read and takes time for the eye to focus.
If you took the time to read this thread from the start you will have read that for me they were a cheap means to an end, I could not give a tinkers cuss if they are led plasma xenon halogen incandescent biodegradable or radioactive. They are cheap, easy to fit, IMO look good and after 14 months are still going strong. I was going to remove them but I like them so much they are staying like all the blue leds in my car, One mans meat.........................................

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi all I've been looking around at white dials for a while but what has always stopped me is the fact that no one seems to have on ebay at least the newer dials for the digital dials so I always turned down the mod.
What popped in my mins is why can't we simply get our dials out, scan them, photo shop them to our tastes and print them on a suitable material? In the end at least in theory it should be a doable project. Or not?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
msbarsi said:
Hi all I've been looking around at white dials for a while but what has always stopped me is the fact that no one seems to have on ebay at least the newer dials for the digital dials so I always turned down the mod.
What popped in my mins is why can't we simply get our dials out, scan them, photo shop them to our tastes and print them on a suitable material? In the end at least in theory it should be a doable project. Or not?

Cheers.
Maybe worth giving these guys a mail, if they are available maybe they can save you some photoshop grief. I would not fancy removing the original facias to scan them.
Lockwood White Dials and dial kits at LOW PRICES!

·
Registered
N/A
178 Posts
wayneg said:
If you took the time to read this thread from the start you will have read that for me they were a cheap means to an end, I could not give a tinkers cuss if they are led plasma xenon halogen incandescent biodegradable or radioactive. They are cheap, easy to fit, IMO look good and after 14 months are still going strong. I was going to remove them but I like them so much they are staying like all the blue leds in my car, One mans meat.........................................
Yeah... I read the thread from the beginning, doesnt mean I agree though! Dont get me wrong, its your car and you do whatever makes you happy - but if I was to make a low-rider out of my SL and posted it up on the forums, I'm sure people would say some comments as well.

Its an SL, not a Civic. I always see kids in their Hondas driving around with their faces glowing blue from the indiglo gauges. Agh...

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
You are probably right wayneg but in theory it should be very easy using the negative image to optain a white dial from our original ones.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
old_s13 said:
Yeah... I read the thread from the beginning, doesnt mean I agree though! Dont get me wrong, its your car and you do whatever makes you happy - but if I was to make a low-rider out of my SL and posted it up on the forums, I'm sure people would say some comments as well.

Its an SL, not a Civic. I always see kids in their Hondas driving around with their faces glowing blue from the indiglo gauges. Agh...
I dont get your point and should not raise to the bait but why are you always so negative, take a look at the pictures of my car I recently posted ( the 1st since joining the forum) I have never shown pics of my car until specificly asked by those who have sought my opinion. You are not in a position to read my private messages and cant know what is spoken in the background! I take great care and gain pleasure that my car is as it came off the production line apart from a few light mods that can be reversed.
HONDA LOWRIDER, get real

·
Registered
Lexus LX470 06, Mercedes SL500 98 Sport pkg Panorama roof, Audi RS4 07
70 Posts
I don't know... I like the original once FAR better.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Once I'm ready, I think Im going to do all white guages with red numbers. Probably have a custom "Supercharged" logo put in the middle of the speedo dial.

Then, I'm gonna have some custom hyper white or red LED's. I'm gonna make that sucker give me a tan while I'm driving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts