Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E 430 4matic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The digital display of the outside temperature is malfunctioning. Although the temperature that it is displaying is correct(I assume), some of the LED "links" are burnt out. In other words I cannot tell if the display is reading 50°F or 60°F because a couple of LED links are not working. Can someone tell me how to fix this? Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1987 560SEC
21 Posts
Ya, mine looks like a calculator screent that someone has stepped on. You can see the liquid in there just smeared around. Sorry to hijack the thread but, is this something that can be replaced? Or does a new gauge cluster need to be installed?

·
Registered
2001 E 430 4matic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On mine sometimes that one bar that can differentiate the 50 vs the 60 will be on, and then it will go out. I cannot see any liquid smeared around. It sounds like aloose wire or something.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try removing the instrument cluster, disconnecting the connector(s) and resinstalling. Better yet, gently clean the connectors with electronic parts cleaner. Mine was like that as well. After having A/C work done which required removal of most of the dash, it works fine now.

·
Registered
2001 E 430 4matic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I noticed that when the outside temperature is between 40° and 50° there is display problem, but when the temperature exceeds 50°, there isn't a problem with the display. I think your advice is "spot on". Thanks again.

·
Registered
2001 E 430 4matic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
E300POS - 5/4/2005 10:39 PM

Try removing the instrument cluster, disconnecting the connector(s) and resinstalling. Better yet, gently clean the connectors with electronic parts cleaner. Mine was like that as well. After having A/C work done which required removal of most of the dash, it works fine now.
Ok, now that I have the solution, how easy is it to remove the instrument cluster and can I do myself or does it need to go to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
there are various threads of how to remove the intrument cluster using the hook method. use the search feature at the top of the website and look for instructions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts