Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone:) i already got LED licence plate lights and i want to get as many LEDs that i can on my car to lower the wattage draw do to my new higher wattage headlights. I know i know most of you said i shouldnt have gotten the higher wattage bulbs but i love them.

Well anyways i know that if i put LEDs in the brakelight sockets it might be a problem due to the fact that they are part of the cruise control-however my cruise control doesnt work anyways, will that be a problem?

And lastly for my corner lights and running lights would i be able to put in LEDs withought a problem? Just wondering if any of you had experience in this area or knew anything about it.

Thanks alot everyone:eek:

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Best you could have with the LED lights for brakes is two bright spots in your taillights. The lenses on the taillights weren't designed to have LEDs, and hence would not put out a bright enough light.

You could, however, install the LEDs on marker lights and corner lights. Interior lights are also good candidates like the shifter light and possibly the instrument cluster lights. For me I used 5W PIAA hyperwhites and got nice results! Yah I know you can't have higher wattage lights, maybe the similar LED versions could work?

And do you have images of the license plate lights? The wagon needs new lights in those spots and was wondering if whiter lights are good too. It's already got Silverstars.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
What a coincidence. I just put LEDs in the license plate light bulb fixtures today. They look nice, but I think they can shine more light with new lenses since the current lenses are, well, cloudy. It's too late to get a pic now, but I will get you a pic eventually.

On another note, I have LEDs now for my glove box, front and rear dome lights. Eventually, I'll put LEDs in the instrument cluster, and perhaps replace the gear selector bulb with a LED.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I read somewhere, I read so damn much I can't ever remember the source of anything any longer, that the brake light cruise control link is a fat stinky myth.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
i was looking at some of the LED product packaging and it says that they're not road legal...not that anyone enforces it but is that true that LED's aren't legal or do they have to be individually DOT approved?

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
true

diametricalbenz said:
i was looking at some of the LED product packaging and it says that they're not road legal...not that anyone enforces it but is that true that LED's aren't legal or do they have to be individually DOT approved?
True, they are not legal to be put into a car that did not come with them from the factory. Like all these new cars that already have LED's those are legal because they are DOT approved from the factory but something like what me and u are doing is not legal but i doubt it will be enforced at all. (I need to get my wattages down ahhhhhh)

·
Registered
240d
309 Posts
Did you do the upgrade? I was thinking about this myself. I see at http://www.superbrightleds.com/ you can get 3 watt leds that are supposed to be bright as regular bulbs, maybe even draw the same wattage, but last longer.

I have a front passenger turn signal light that keeps burning out every few weeks, so did the former owner. He just kept replacing the bulb.

My main concern with replacing the turn signal lights was the fact they may not work from such a low draw the led bulbs have. At least that is the warning the led website says.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
The LED will work but you may need to install those load resistor kits onto the bulbs since the car will think the bulb is broken. I haven't tried it so I have no idea if the car will know the difference.

·
Registered
w123 300tdt
362 Posts
obaja said:
Hey everyone:) i already got LED licence plate lights and i want to get as many LEDs that i can on my car to lower the wattage draw do to my new higher wattage headlights. I know i know most of you said i shouldnt have gotten the higher wattage bulbs but i love them.

Well anyways i know that if i put LEDs in the brakelight sockets it might be a problem due to the fact that they are part of the cruise control-however my cruise control doesnt work anyways, will that be a problem?

And lastly for my corner lights and running lights would i be able to put in LEDs withought a problem? Just wondering if any of you had experience in this area or knew anything about it.

Thanks alot everyone:eek:
Just go to the link in the second to last reply.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...ier-alternator.html?highlight=saab+alternator

This upgrade for your alternator should solve all your
current draw problems.

Louis.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
the BEST application of LEDs in a car of this age is for the instrument cluster. i recently converted all of the wedge-base bulbs in my K1100RS to inverted LEDs and WOW what a difference. check out http://superbrightleds.com they have all colors and sizes at fair prices.

check this dashboard out:

kicks butt over the OEM green coated bulbs

·
Registered
1980 280te 1979 Rabbit D 1969 Triumph T100C
1,406 Posts
how do these things work? just fit in like a regular bulb? i would love to brighten the dash lights.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
bboybaroo said:
how do these things work? just fit in like a regular bulb? i would love to brighten the dash lights.
yes. they fit right in.
iirc you can use #194 bulbs in the W123 dash. go to this page:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

search for 194 at the top. any of the 'wide angle' bulbs will net the result I posted (keep in mind that's a long exposure, but the lighting is substantially better than incandescent)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts