2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did have success upgrading all the 'Upper' interior lights to LED:

Front Dome - 2

Rear view Mirror 'map lights' - 2

Passenger reading - 2

Rear Cargo - 1

It was all pretty straightforward. I used mostly CANBUS (non-error) bulbs, 41mm 'Festoon' (tube style) 6411 in Domes.

Same in the single Cargo (rear) light.

Smaller cousin, 36mm Festoon, 6418 in Passenger reading lights.

The Rear view mirror mounted map light were more challenging. You carefully pry them out from the mirror, then the bulb holder / reflector / lens, comes off from the electrical pigtail connector.

It's a type 194 / T10 like the rear side marker lights, just a basic glass bulb with two wires bent over the back end. Very small diameter.

That's the problem, is the LED's even the most low profile 194 I found by Sylvania (O'reillys) don't go thru the housing like the stock bulbs.

The solution was to carefully use small screwdrivers to pop off the lens cover from the housing, then correctly orient the bulb and push it thru to meet the wiring connector. This way the fatter part of the bulb is not having to pass thru from the back, but inserted from the front.

Then carefully pop the clear lens back onto the housing. Extra fun if your reflector comes loose from housing ! One of mine did, the other stayed attached. Be sure to test the 'ON' button to verify the light works BEFORE snapping that lens cover on.

But, it's a cool upgrade and the look on the interior of the car is just stellar.

My only challenge is I tried to put LED's - 36mm in the lower front lights, underdash & door bottoms, and they made the uppers malfunction, not turn off or turn on & they flickered.

I put the stock lights back in on the lower ones, and all works well everwhere.

So not sure what the trick is to get LED's everywhere & all working fine, but please if anyone can say, THANK YOU !

It's a 2002 ML 500, btw.

Cheers,

David in East Texas

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
.....It was all pretty straightforward. I used mostly CANBUS (non-error) bulbs, 41mm 'Festoon' (tube style) 6411 in Domes.
....My only challenge is I tried to put LED's - 36mm in the lower front lights, underdash & door bottoms, and they made the uppers malfunction, not turn off or turn on & they flickered.

I put the stock lights back in on the lower ones, and all works well everwhere.

So not sure what the trick is to get LED's everywhere & all working fine, but please if anyone can say, THANK YOU !
Hey David... I thought I had the right LEDs... I put Sylvannia 6411 in the overhead dome... and they dont work (flicker for 1/2 second if at all).

Do you have a link to the LEDs you used ? I am trying to get all the puddle (door) lights and the overhead (map reading) lights to LED at least

·
2,873 Posts
David,
no mention of the footwell lights? ;)

EDIT: my bad..... under the dash.

Never solved that issue either - dumbfounded LEDs wont work in the footwell
exact same issue you have

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,917 Posts
When I did all mine many moons ago I used a load resistor on the top dome lights and one on the bottom footwell.
You can even just use a normal bulb and hide it to do the same job.
The LED’s don’t dim when turning off like the incandescent bulbs but they still time out a little.

If you use a load resistor make sure it’s not sitting on any thing that can melt they get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Thanks Matt... and Khomer, I was hoping that these bulbs have improved with time (they have gotten slimmer)... also trying to avoid using load resisters due to space and dont want to hack those areas.

I'm guessing David @2000 E 320 White Wagon hasn't seen this post yet.

rear passenger overhead lights:
I noticed yesterday that the LEDs I placed in my rear passenger convenience lights (by the grab handles) - function perfectly... no blinking when pressing on...and when turning the ignition off... they go on... and they also fade out .... I used Sylvania 6418 for those

for now, my issues are:

overhead light: this is a priority

footwell ("under dash") light: would like this to function

puddle lights (from doors): I will use OEM lights for now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts