Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these on eBay and was curious if anyone has an opinion or maybe even bought a pair. I'm curious if it would cause any issues, or throw codes and if it truly is plug and play.

Mercedes Benz C-Class 98-02 LED H3 9 SMD Fog Light Bulb

Mercedes Benz C-Class 98-02 LED H3 9 SMD Fog Light Bulb - eBay (item 270664089893 end time Dec-14-10 11:57:35 PST)

I use my fog lights, those enclosed in the sealed headlamp unit, every time I drive my car and have never been fully happy with the performance of any bulbs, other than Philips which is difficult to find in the US. The Silverstar's have a short life and others are less bright. These sound ideal if they are reliable and compatible.

·
Registered
95 C220
1,362 Posts
i recently got nokya hyper yellows to "complete my euro look".. am looking to see the PIAA yellows atm....

i dont see it having to throw codes but if you want to try it go for it... the only problem i see is that it might blink instead of stay on steady which you could fix with just a capacitor/resistor (sorry dunno which exactly you need)

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i recently got nokya hyper yellows to "complete my euro look".. am looking to see the PIAA yellows atm....
Any pics with the yellow fogs illuminated?

I considered yellow fogs but realize that most jurisdictions don't allow yellow headlights. Of course our foglights aren't headlights and you could easily prove this to any officer who may question that by demonstrating right there on the roadside the brights and dims are white, but I feel it would still offer an excuse to be pulled over on a daily basis. Have you had any issues or do you only use yours for fog, not as daytime lights?

·
Registered
95 C220
1,362 Posts
Any pics with the yellow fogs illuminated?

I considered yellow fogs but realize that most jurisdictions don't allow yellow headlights. Of course our foglights aren't headlights and you could easily prove this to any officer who may question that by demonstrating right there on the roadside the brights and dims are white, but I feel it would still offer an excuse to be pulled over on a daily basis. Have you had any issues or do you only use yours for fog, not as daytime lights?
i have to get back to you on that.... i use it in the mornings on my way to travel and when its not too dark enough yet to turn on my headlights which i installed an HID kit... i wanted to retrofit amber bulb covers to it to make it look like french fogs but been too busy to get around to it...

View topic - OG w124 highbeam mod on W202. | THE Mercedes-Benz & AMG Forum for and by the Enthusiasts | MyMBonline.com

·
Registered
99 C230K
109 Posts
Looks like the bulb will need just 9 watts from the available 55W. You'll probably get a bulb out (unless bulb out warnings don't consider the fog lamps). I'm no expert though.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
I think there was a thread about these lights a while back on the 203 board and I remember the purchaser not being impressed with the light that was thrown. I do remember them being much more expensive though. Maybe worth a look for $16 shipped.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the bulb will need just 9 watts from the available 55W. You'll probably get a bulb out (unless bulb out warnings don't consider the fog lamps). I'm no expert though.
The fogs do not activate a bulb-out warning, so would I in fact need something to compensate for the differential in power use so as not to burn out the bulb? I have absolutely no electrical background so forgive the perhaps naive question.

·
Registered
95 C220
1,362 Posts
The fogs do not activate a bulb-out warning, so would I in fact need something to compensate for the differential in power use so as not to burn out the bulb? I have absolutely no electrical background so forgive the perhaps naive question.
i would say you might by adding a capacitor... but if you try it, do without first... my LED reverse and plate lights i didnt have to add any capacitors/resistors

·
Registered
98c230 & 98c43
511 Posts
Wait, lemme get this right: You want to put an LED tower in the fog lights? If you don't mind form over function, then go for it. LEDs are very bright at the source, but the light thrown out is not directed whatsoever, even with a reflective housing. Halogen fogs will be more effective than LED fogs.

But please note that the fogs in the non-AMG w202's are less than spectacular to begin with. Having a w202 facelifted c230 myself, the projected beam on the fogs are VERY thin compared to other fog light housings. I bought a 3000k 35w DDM HID kit, and the contrast to the 6000k 35w low beams certainly showed itself there. But it's good that they at least put fogs standard in the w202, so no complaints, right?

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wait, lemme get this right: You want to put an LED tower in the fog lights? If you don't mind form over function, then go for it. LEDs are very bright at the source, but the light thrown out is not directed whatsoever, even with a reflective housing. Halogen fogs will be more effective than LED fogs.
I see your point here. I use my fogs as Daytime Running Lights here in grey Portland but on the occasion that I might actually want to use them in fog, the brightness of LED's would do the opposite of what I need them to do and make visibility more difficult perhaps. I suppose halogen bulbs already perform the way I want them to as DRL's, make my car visible to other drivers, not necessarily shed more light for me, that's what my headlights are for. This is exactly why I love the forums here, we get an exchange of thoughts and opinions, coupled with some technical info and voila, I have my answer. :)

Thanks to all who participated.

·
Registered
98c230 & 98c43
511 Posts
I see your point here. I use my fogs as Daytime Running Lights here in grey Portland but on the occasion that I might actually want to use them in fog, the brightness of LED's would do the opposite of what I need them to do and make visibility more difficult perhaps. I suppose halogen bulbs do what I need them to do as DRL's, make my car visible to other drivers, not necessarily shed more light for me, that's what my headlights are for. This is exactly why I love the forums here, we get an exchange of thoughts and opinions, coupled with some technical info and voila, I have my answer. :)

Thanks to all who participated.
So you're gonna do it?! We wanna see! Be sure to post pics if you set them up as your DRL/Fogs'!!! :D

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts