Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discussed before but I can't find the exact info I need by doing a search. From the old posts I understand that Jerry sold an LED brake light replacement with the required load resistor (to keep the "bulb out" light on the dash from illuminating) but I can't find it on his site now. I have sent him an email so will see if it is still available or not.

In the meantime, I found LED bulbs at the following site http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR but I am not sure which ones will fit. If you get too many LEDs, the bulb will no longer fit in the tail light assembly. I was looking at the 1157-R24 Red LED Bulb, but I don't know if it is too big and if I will need to drop back to a 1157-R19 or 1157-R12. I also don't know if the RL650 Load Resistor they sell on that site is the right one for the job.

So here are the questions: Has any one installed one of these type bulbs? If so, what size bulb did you get? What type of load resistor did you use and how did you wire the resistor into the tail light assembly?

This whole idea came from the results of trying to do the preventative maintenance (dielectric grease) on the brake light bulb sockets (see the thread at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1125124&posts=13&fid=26). I think I am going to end up with new tail light assemblies and want to make sure I don't have to replace them again. The theory is that the LED bulbs use so much less power that they will not cause arcing/melting of the assembly. I hope it works.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind

After more research I decided against the LED brake lights option.

I think I will modify the bulb sockets per venk's instructions (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1174293&posts=10&hl=brake+light). Then I'll put some dielectric grease on the contact points and finally I'll replace the 1156 bulbs with Sylvania 7506. The 7506's are supposed to draw 1.75 amps where the 1156's draw 2.1 amps (from what someone else posted). The downside is the 7506's will only last about 150 hours vs 2000 for the 1156.

I'll let you know tomorrow if the dealer has any words of wisdom.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Falcon
Why did you decide against the led lights? I'm tryin to check out this same situation, as I'm on my third set of brake lights....but warranty will run out in about another year. I've even thought of purchasing a set off e-bay and modifying the housing somehow (maybe a large copper/brass washer) to replace whatever contact area they have that burns up. If you do go led lights, don't get the red ones....they don't put out enough light thru the already red brake lens....as I found out on my motorcycle.

Regards

Max

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't want to screw with the load resistor that would be required for the LEDs (if you want the lamp out signal on the instrument cluster to be extinguished). After reading venk's modification of the bulb holder and the fact that he has gotten good results with it, I figured if I do all three steps below, I have a pretty good chance of permanently solving the problem:

1. Modify bulb holder (I found a pretty easy way to do this using wire ties, I'll post pictures later today after I get back from the dealer)
2. Put some dielectric grease on the contacts ($3 at Autozone)
3. Replace the 1156 bulbs with 7507 bulbs (reduces current draw)

Only time will tell if I have really solved the problem or not, but I am optimistic.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must be confused [B)], I keep using the wrong bulb numbers: In my first post about LEDs the bulb numbers should be 1156-R12, 1156-R19 or 1156-R24.

In my last post the Sylvania bulbs should be 7506 not 7507. I did find some Sylvania 7506LL (Long Life, 1000 hour) bulbs to replace the 1156s.

For the complete story on my attempt at fixing the brake light problem, see the post I added to venk's solution in the following thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1174293

1 - 6 of 6 Posts