Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, This is the first time I posting to this group and apologize if this has been addressed before. I am beginning to experience the common ignition key issue, discussed in this group - ML Key hesitation with going in and out of the tumbler. I want to know has anyone tried the following and what is the impact:

With an understanding, I just have one key and FOB, looking for something real simple:

1. Leave the original key permanently in the ignition (along with FOB - assuming the coded electronics is in the FOB)
2. Get a second FOB (I will need to buy one) to lock/unlock the doors

Would the car allow locking the doors while the key is still in the ignition?

What would be the impact of leaving the key in the ignition, if car can be locked?

I am looking for my options before trying to rebuild the tumbler OR do we have any other options such as wiring a push start capability (I read that requires another key programmed for the same car).

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,458 Posts
My experience with three MB’s is that you cannot lock the car with the key in the ignition from outside. In the car, yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick reply. That is what I was suspecting (couldn't validate as I don't have the 2nd FOB). Seems like programming a second FOB to open and close the doors will be a challenge as well.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,216 Posts
Hi folks, This is the first time I posting to this group and apologize if this has been addressed before. I am beginning to experience the common ignition key issue, discussed in this group - ML Key hesitation with going in and out of the tumbler. I want to know has anyone tried the following and what is the impact:

With an understanding, I just have one key and FOB, looking for something real simple:

1. Leave the original key permanently in the ignition (along with FOB - assuming the coded electronics is in the FOB)
2. Get a second FOB (I will need to buy one) to lock/unlock the doors

Would the car allow locking the doors while the key is still in the ignition?

What would be the impact of leaving the key in the ignition, if car can be locked?

I am looking for my options before trying to rebuild the tumbler OR do we have any other options such as wiring a push start capability (I read that requires another key programmed for the same car).
If it's the issue of the physical blade key itself, going into and removing it from the tumbler, have you tried lubrucating the tumbler?

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
10,169 Posts
Grease it up, stick it in, waggle it about a bit...

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'll get me coat.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
677 Posts
I used the Febi 26677 kit (cylinder plus two keys) to re-key my 2000 ML320.. You remove the RFID chip out of your fob and tape/glue it to the pick-up ring.. Added a cheap remote for the door locks.. Also made mine "push button start".. Whole re-fit project cost $30.
I went from one key/fob to Three keys and Three fobs..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's the issue of the physical blade key itself, going into and removing it from the tumbler, have you tried lubrucating the tumbler?
So far it can go in and out but with a little struggle. I am worried next time it may not come out and may get stuck halfway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grease it up, stick it in, waggle it about a bit...

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'll get me coat.
Actually, I tried silicone spray, which didn't improve things much - probably because tumbler needs to be lubricated from the outside and am I am afraid of messing up with the antenna ring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also wanted to note - I tried silicon spray which is very thin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the Febi 26677 kit (cylinder plus two keys) to re-key my 2000 ML320.. You remove the RFID chip out of your fob and tape/glue it to the pick-up ring.. Added a cheap remote for the door locks.. Also made mine "push button start".. Whole re-fit project cost $30.
As a backup I found a genuine tumbler with new blade key with case shell so that I can transfer the electronics from old FOB to the new shell. The issue will be now I have one blade key for ignition and one for outside (in case remote locking doesn't work). Not sure how much dealer charges for the new tumbler which accommodates existing blade. Also I read about removal of tumbler process and seems like that may be a struggle as well.

Since my problem has at a very early stage of become bigger, trying to seek advice for best way to go.

Also, do you know by any chance if leaving the key in ignition keeps anything in the car?

·
Registered
677 Posts
As a backup I found a genuine tumbler with new blade key with case shell so that I can transfer the electronics from old FOB to the new shell. The issue will be now I have one blade key for ignition and one for outside (in case remote locking doesn't work). Not sure how much dealer charges for the new tumbler which accommodates existing blade. Also I read about removal of tumbler process and seems like that may be a struggle as well.

Since my problem has at a very early stage of become bigger, trying to seek advice for best way to go.

Also, do you know by any chance if leaving the key in ignition keeps anything in the car?
Don't wait too long to do something,.. once that key will no longer turn.. YOU'RE SCREWED.. I would change out that cylinder as fast as you can and not worry about the two key thing.. The old cylinder and key must work to get them out.. if not you'll be drilling and cutting into the lock assembly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. That makes sense. I wasn't sure if I stop removing the key, would the cylinder still stop turning. If that is the case, I will have to move fast.

·
Registered
677 Posts
PS.. you might want to get a "locking cap" removal tool.. They've got them on ebay pretty cheap.. Otherwise, it's a struggle to get the cap off with a pair of channel locks..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks bobby. Are you referring to the tumbler sleeve $15 (part number: 202 589 00 14 00 ) or Pulling hooks $28 part number:140 589 02 33 00)? Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
. Mercedes part # 202-589-00-14-00... MB wants $250 for it.. ebay has it for $16
You will need to make a couple of wire hooks (thin coat hanger wire) to pull the RF ring off.. You also might want to check out some u-tube videos on it.. there are several.. You take one hook and get behind the ring (8/9/10 o'clock??) pop it up just a bit, then run the other hook around the ring, popping it up as you go..

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
275 Posts
What brand did you use for the remote? My AAM won't recognize the switchblade remote anymore.

·
Registered
677 Posts
What brand did you use for the remote? My AAM won't recognize the switchblade remote anymore.
You put the unit under the center console box (nice tight fit).. Wire the "always hot 12v" to the cig lighter.. Wire the "open/close relays to the interior door lock switch.. Your done... NOTE: THIS DOES NOT ACTIVATE THE ALARM.. Just locks and unlocks the doors... I'm not worried about someone trying to steal my 20 year old ML...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just ordered one of these as well instead of taking chances with a single FOB. Not sure how to even program the FOB if just opening/closing the door. Hopefully, Universal Remote can give piece of mind.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes, that's what it is.. A cheap insurance policy, if you were ever to lock your keys inside the car

1 - 20 of 36 Posts