Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
W140 S320 1998
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been looking for good leather products to recondition some of my leather in my lady. The products by Leatherique seem to be the best. Has anyone here used these and which products did you use exactly as they are a bunch??? I need to do my steering wheel and the front seats.

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,778 Posts
It really depends on the condition of your leather to begin with. The Leatherique process is quite involved if you want to do it right, but can yield great results in the end.

The standard kit is the Pristine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil. They also offer dyes and a crack filler, if necessary.

I'd really only recommend even the basic treatment if your seats are truly in need of restoration. I've tried it on my Lotus and didn't notice anything spectacular; at least nothing more than I've achieved with Lexol and a good horse-hair brush. Wasn't worth the extra effort to me. But my leather was in pretty good shape anyway. I know that detailers swear by the stuff when doing more challenging jobs.

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,272 Posts
Leatherique is a wonderful product that does exactly what it says. If your leather is in good shape it will help to preserve it, if not, it will do everything it says it will.

George does a great job with his product, and will assist you with any question or concerns you might have about the product or how to use it.

I have used Leatherique on MB vehicles for over 20 years and have never found anything that performs as well nor recovers old leather like it does.

Dan

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Their Prestine Clean (not Pristine, btw...) is a good cleaner that won't strip the oils from the leather. Beyond that, it's not much different to any other detergent or solvent. Mildly soapy water, a stiff brush and elbow grease would probably clean just as well.

The special stuff is the Rejuvenator (no longer called an oil...) that is applied to the leather and allowed to soak in for around 24 hours while kept as warm as possible. I would treat my seats in the morning, wrap them in black plastic and then park the car in the sun for the day. Used in that way it softens the leather and loosens deeply ingrained dirt. Multiple treatments may be required.

If that doesn't give the desired results then redying is the next option but it means real work.

·
Registered
W140 S320 1998
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I think I will get a good leather cleaner then just get the rejuvenator oil. I may need to get a restorer as the color is off in some parts. I think i will post a pic!! I also see there is an actual steering kit.
regards

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Nathan,

Yes, you can...The trick is the heat, NOT direct light-direct light will shrink the leather, and may cause the seams to tear.

A) I made a hot box from a double walled cardboard box covered in black construction paper.

B) I removed my seats, and took them apart, so I had the cushions only-yes it sounds like work-it is...

C) sprayed two coats of rejuvenator from a Target Stores Spray Bottle, and used a small hand brush (1"x4"), and worked the oil in.

D) Put the seat in the box, and placed it on the roof of the house, so it can bake on those 100 degree days.Which in the box temps reached 130 or so.

E) It softened my seats. My seats were cardboard hard-just like cardboard-no kidding?? This sounds extreme, but my seats were extreme. My seats were very hard, and with deep cracks. Once the seats are cracked. The rotting has occured on the leather.

F)In the end, I spent about $400 to $500 in chemicals from Leatherique, and my seats would look better, but not as good as fresh leather. Note, I had dyed my E320 seats, and the dye works, but in a years time the dyed rubbed off the high friction parts of the seat(the sides of the back rest).
The key is to not let your seats get bad, but to incorporate a twice or more the rejuvenator a year, so the leather does not dry up on you.

G)I met a person while at the junk yard that upolsters Mercedes seats, and that was the best decision I took to pay for his services. Where he uses the leather from the back seats of junk W140's to make the front seats. My seats are perfect, and he made my arm rest too.. I had posted some black seats here from his work-I got not a peep from that...I guess people are too cheap and drive with torn leather, and for me that is gross thing-These cars are so elegant. Why not pay attention to the seats, or cover the seats with sheep skin covers, yuck!!!

I recommend to just get new leather covers like I did, and maintain the leather with Rejuvenator...

Here are some before pics, and to me this is extreme, but when I go to the junk yard, the seats are worse-off than mine:

The after, made from back seat leather:

Best of luck,

Martin

·
Registered
1998 S320LWB
660 Posts
Martin,

Your re-upolstered seats look great. Actually they look new. Interesting that the rear leather stays is such good shape. I suppose the damage is caused by the friction of in/out and not heat and UV.

I have done a decent job of keeping up with the cleaning and conditioning so my seats aren't too bad. I have use a UV blocking metalized film on my windows. They are imperseptable but keeps the car 15 degrees cooler and likely avoids alot of sun damage. I take very good care of her and plan on keeping this girl a long time. Could you provide the contact for the upolstery work and approximate cost.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Shim,

Thank you, Yea, it is about the UV, but also not oiling the dead skin(leather). The reason you see the towels on the seats on the last two(now i'm doing it) pictures...

The Sacramento valley is a pressure cooker unlike the SF Bay Area that has cloudy conditions-helps...

The guy who did my seats. He showed me his seats oh his 92 500SEL, and they were ten years old, and they looked and smelled like the car came off the showroom-my eye's literally popped-out. All he did was to replace the front leather with back seat leather from junk yard leather.

Now, not all back seat leather is perfect. I visit the self serve junk yards at lease once a week. The back seats are usually 80% good most of the time...

Here is my contact:

His name is Craig, and his email is: [email protected].

I paid $400 for everything - both fronts and arm rest.-All from back seat leather.

He has ebay site where he just sells the leather. He ships all over the world.

mschoen954 | eBay

His ebay name is : mschoen954

Martin

·
Registered
99 s320,and 83 300sd
2,072 Posts
yes the east bay stay cloudy,i'm originally from Richmond.Sac is hot,I keep my garge cool for my Benz.will do the black plastic trick,and let car get hot.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Yes, you can...The trick is the heat, NOT direct light-direct light will shrink the leather, and may cause the seams to tear.
Hence the wrapping in black plastic if you can't take the seats out/apart.
F) Note, I had dyed my E320 seats, and the dye works, but in a years time the dyed rubbed off the high friction parts of the seat(the sides of the back rest).
Did you sand the seats back to virgin leather in your prep? That's what Leatherique recommend and what I did. It's tedious but gets a result that wears as well as the original colouring.

Seats as far gone as those in your pictures are not a good candidate for just Leatherique, replacement of the damaged panels like you ended up doing is necessary. Their crack filler only works with deep cracks where the edges have not yet started to peel back.

·
8,064 Posts
I scuffed my seats with scotch bright pad, and removed a layer of dye/paint. My E320 seats were far better condition, but the dye just came off. One must also take into account the car is a daily driver, and I wore jeans-jeans are like fine sandpaper.

The black lawn plastic bags do the trick-It keeps the sun out and keeps the rejuvinator oil from evaporating. Do an application every six hours

Also, transplant the bottles of liquid from the containers leatherique sends you to a new container. I used Arizona Gingsing cold tea container-they are flexable, and are un effected by the cold. The containers he sends you are made from milk jug material-the plastic just cracks. I lost a gallon of Prestine Clean, and quart of Prep liquid....

Martin

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I tried cleaning/scuffing on my first project, just fixing the drivers seat on my '98 ES300. That was less than perfect which is why I did what they recommend and stripped all the old dye when I recoloured my '02 ES300. That has withstood my sons abuse for over a year. It's parked outside and gets full sun for half of the day and still looks great inside. (Wish I could say the same the same for the paint.)

That project took over 6 months and stretched into winter. I had the seats in my bathroom with 2 oil radiators to cook them as the sun wasn't warm enough. I kept costs down by using soapy water instead of the Leatherique prep while sanding. Their prep is great, but expensive. I only used it for the final clean just before re-dyeing.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
I've used leatherique, would vouch for it. Awesome product. Just follow the directions.
Be warned though, if your leather has cracks in it, once cleaned, the cracks will probably be more obvious. It works, tedious to clean though. Really messy and I hated doing it but loved the results. The smell was good too in my opinion.

·
Registered
99 s320,and 83 300sd
2,072 Posts
mw126 i do everything on her,remove seats you name,but this w140,I'm scared or to old now to mess with it.At least the interior.Its not used friendly like a w126

·
Registered
1999 S600 2001 CL55 1992 500SEL for sale
128 Posts
Shim,

Thank you, Yea, it is about the UV, but also not oiling the dead skin(leather). The reason you see the towels on the seats on the last two(now i'm doing it) pictures...

The Sacramento valley is a pressure cooker unlike the SF Bay Area that has cloudy conditions-helps...

The guy who did my seats. He showed me his seats oh his 92 500SEL, and they were ten years old, and they looked and smelled like the car came off the showroom-my eye's literally popped-out. All he did was to replace the front leather with back seat leather from junk yard leather.

Now, not all back seat leather is perfect. I visit the self serve junk yards at lease once a week. The back seats are usually 80% good most of the time...

Here is my contact:

His name is Craig, and his email is: [email protected].

I paid $400 for everything - both fronts and arm rest.-All from back seat leather.

He has ebay site where he just sells the leather. He ships all over the world.

mschoen954 | eBay

His ebay name is : mschoen954

Martin
thanks, just ordered a set off ebay

·
Registered
1999 S600 2001 CL55 1992 500SEL for sale
128 Posts
I received my seat covers and Have the passenger installed.
Craig is great!
He gave me a tutorial over the phone. The new cover looks awesome.
I added some padding from an old sofa mainly to get the cover to look smooth in the front.
This way beats the hell out of wrangling a seat out of the pick your part.
If there is not a thread on this I will try and do one for the driver side.
Thank you again Martin for steering me in this direction.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,642 Posts
I purchased a seat Leather of Craig as well .
Extremely well packaged and the tracking with USPS post was absolutely intense watching it hour by hour where the parcel was at any time around the Globe,lol.
Postage from Craig in the US took a Week to get to me here in Sydney AU ,if i would have ordered them here in Sydney it would take 6 weeks to get to me ,Go figure that out ,lol.
The Leather he send me was exactly as described and in practically New shape with all the MB smell and all its hooks etc , he also offered to help by sending a detailed picture by picture how to remove the seats leather only & advised me that the whole Seat does not need to be removed to change the Leather only .
I can only recommend Mschoen954 here on Benzworld to buy any covers from ,Cheap & fast postage ,anywhere .:thumbsup:

When I get the chance to install these leather seat coverings , I will create a new threat with pictures how to do this , I had a look under the seat and it appears that there is one Phillips head screw ( large screw) ,on each edge on the bottom part where you sit on and that should pop of after removing the seatbelts side nut .
More on this later , as I still need to figure it out for the upper back rest section, that wont be as easy I think . :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,642 Posts
A Year later , thanks to Craig i'm at it again , just that this time there is a twist .
Current status of my car , (twist >>) the 4 seater option has began , 1st seat is already in with new carpets as well ( not picture'd ).
I will make a threat for all this when it's finished .
Some teaser Pics for you guys .
What a Headache to do this .... .:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts