Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was able to secure all required materials to enable rebuilding both front seats from Classic Auto Restyling. That needed to include the leather and the padding and the matched color dye and the sealer.
It is the padding which is actually critical to the quality and longevity of job. That is because if just the covers are replaced the new leather will not be tight due to the degradation of the original padding and the creases in the leather will then wear prematurely.The job came out great and a perfect color match to boot.

Seth
Seth,

What color are your seats, and can I ask how much for all the materials? Padding - you mean the foam, or also the horsehair cushions? What parts exactly?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Interior Code is 268 which is Gray Leather, the interior corresponds to MB 467 which is ASH (mine). Note this is what MB used as light colored gray vs the dark gray which was MB 451. 268 Orion Grey.<< http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-ORION-GRAY-Leather-Color-TOUCH-UP-KITS-S320-SL500-E320-ML320-/170614842856>>

However, the actual solution for professional results is to color match based upon original sample. It is a long story but that is what I determined. Again Classic Auto Restyling provided that dye required.

Seth

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same situation here - Only code the dealer can give me is 518A Exclusive Grey

I have a 99' SL600 , dash and steering wheel is the darker gray, seats and door panels are the lighter one.
I read somewhere else It's Orion Grey and Basalt Grey but I can't figure out for sure.
My understanding is Orion Grey is the light one.

The samples I received from [email protected] (eBay seller below) are not matching my colors... The dark one is close but light ones are far from it...

It's unbelievable that Mercedes is not keeping a database for this stuff!

Richard.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I got a set of leather seat covers from the subject of this thread and they did a commendable job. I matched my colors for my 1995 S600 Coupe and it was relatively painless. They sent me sample colors and I chose the colors closest to mine, which were pretty close. Remember, colors fade with time and exposure to sun, so factor that in, but I would recommend these guys.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Who had a match? Please share vendor info + color codes

I got a set of leather seat covers from the subject of this thread and they did a commendable job. I matched my colors for my 1995 S600 Coupe and it was relatively painless. They sent me sample colors and I chose the colors closest to mine, which were pretty close. Remember, colors fade with time and exposure to sun, so factor that in, but I would recommend these guys.

Because I have all but given up on matching the leather for the driver's seat from mail order. Even GAHH, my last hope for a kit, sent samples that are close in color, but not exact, and the texture is rough, it's for a 500. If your info doesn't work for me, I'm gonna take it to my local equivalent of West Coast Customs and pay them to slice up their own raw leather and paint it. There's just no other way. Who would have thought the damn driver's seat would end up being the single biggest $ repair on this car? Was the least of my concerns when I bought it. The V12 mechanicals are like fixing a 2000 Hyundai Elantra compared to how impossible it is to find the right double-gray Nappa 518A interior swatches.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If anyone is interested, i have both front seats and the complete rear seat assembly from a 1998 S600 in dual color creme/beige available for sale for $650. I am located in Manhattan, New York.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I went to Classic Auto here in Palm Springs a year ago. The PO had a set of keys hanging from his right side belt. Every time he got into the car there was "conflict" with the keys and the seat. Anyway they did a great job of color matching at a reasonable price.
Have you considered an upholstery shop? I went to one here locally and they had a couple of sample books for Mercedes interiors. And sure enough,
Exquisite Mushroom 515A was there. They did my headliner on another car but I was curious about samples. One really needs to get a VIN printout that also shows "The Data Card" to get the exact material that MB used on YOUR car. No way would I try to match a sample off eBay.
Anziani

·
Registered
356 Posts
I went to Classic Auto here in Palm Springs a year ago. The PO had a set of keys hanging from his right side belt. Every time he got into the car there was "conflict" with the keys and the seat. Anyway they did a great job of color matching at a reasonable price.
Have you considered an upholstery shop? I went to one here locally and they had a couple of sample books for Mercedes interiors. And sure enough,
Exquisite Mushroom 515A was there. They did my headliner on another car but I was curious about samples. One really needs to get a VIN printout that also shows "The Data Card" to get the exact material that MB used on YOUR car. No way would I try to match a sample off eBay.
Anziani
I've been to the oldest shop in town. They have a book. When we found something close, they called the supplier who supplies the book and the leather. The supplier still wasn't sure. Yes, I've been through VINs and color codes ad-nauseum. It's a joke. I'm going to another shop next week and I'm going to see if they have a way to just get the raw leather, cut it, stitch it, and die it based on what they see with their eyeballs. If they can't mix the colors in their own shop, I don't see how this is ever going to get done and I'm nt going to pay $1400-$2000 to get something that "sort of looks pretty good"

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Sounds like you are really up against it. Both of the local upholstery shop have catalogues SPECIFIC to Mercedes.What about a trip to Florida? There are MB's all over the place down there. Hope you find a winner.
Anziani

·
Registered
356 Posts
Haha!

Sounds like you are really up against it. Both of the local upholstery shop have catalogues SPECIFIC to Mercedes.What about a trip to Florida? There are MB's all over the place down there. Hope you find a winner.
Anziani
Florida......sadly, that's probably not a bad course of action to achieve what I;m trying to achieve.

I guess I just don't understand - and maybe I will find the answer (at least the next shop's answer) this week. When you go to a good shop to get a panel painted on your car, they use techniques to blend the paint to match the aging and fading of the current paint - can this NOT be done with interior dye? Paint is paint, technique is technique. This is what I'm hoping to find

·
W124 Moderator
12,583 Posts
It also would do you no harm to check with Leatherique. They do custom color matches.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Very aware

Are you aware of World Upholstery in Santa Paula, CA? Mercedes-Benz Upholstery, Seats, Carpets, Interior Panels, Convertible Tops, Floor Mats, Headliners and Other Trim Accessories from World Upholstery and Trim
They have buildings of leather!!! and they list the 140 series. Good luck,
Anziani
That was the first place I turned to. Both their samples were far and away not even close to a match. If you have info on specific lots/aftermarket leather codes, I'm all ears.

At this point, I'm toying with the idea of buying a set of rear seats on eBay (there are like 3 pair, ZERO fronts, go figure) and having someone slice them apart and see what they can make happen.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It also would do you no harm to check with Leatherique. They do custom color matches.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Thanks, but my understanding is leatherique does leather repair. My driver seats must have had a 400lb sweating Beefalo in them for 179k miles, because there are entire swaths of leather MISSING and fabric showing through

EDIT: I'm getting desperate, if someone has some of these sitting around and they have creases, but no full separation anywhere, I'll pay a grand plus shipping

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks, but my understanding is leatherique does leather repair. My driver seats must have had a 400lb sweating Beefalo in them for 179k miles, because there are entire swaths of leather MISSING and fabric showing through

EDIT: I'm getting desperate, if someone has some of these sitting around and they have creases, but no full separation anywhere, I'll pay a grand plus shipping
This was mine when I bought it... And after next to the passenger seat (RHD) I was lucky to find a seat cover set on Ebay. Then everything got a good clean and feed with Leatherique. The colour is a pretty good match. It's a lot closer than it appears in the photos. I'm thinking about redyeing all of the seats using Leatherique dye but that won't be until mid Summer. Note the amount of dirt in the carpet. I spent many hours cleaning every part of the interior & I'm pretty happy with it for now. I even ran the seat belts though the washing machine after removing them from the roll up mechanism. They came up like new.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine aren't that bad SC, but they are very close. Yours are the only ones I've seen near as trashed as mine. Martin, my interior is Charcoal outer and Ash Gray inner, non=perforated, Nappa.

Sorry, gave up on this for a bit to breathe and just saw these replies

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have a complete set of both front seats and complete rear seat from a 1998 S600 sedan in 2 tone cream/beige color non-perforated Nappa Leather. Everything for $650. I am in New York.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
14 Participants
Jayare
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing