Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have so many questions but I'll try to start with only a few. I'm a repenting BMW owner, and the new C class, besides looking quite elegant, really seems to promise the kind of car I'm looking for.<p>Anyway, the U.S. cars both have leather, or partial leather as I understand it, standard, and premium leather is an option. I haven't seen the differences discussed yet, does anyone know what they are?<p>Second, I understand Mercedes uses body cladding under the car to replace the cosmoline coating for corrosion protection, and also to help aerodynamics. Anyone know if this creates additional issues driving through flood waters? I'm worried about water leaking in there.<p>Third, do I understand correctly that there are visible differences in the HVAC controls between the two U.S. models?<p>Thanks for any help!<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,<p>>>> I'm a repenting BMW owner, and the new C class, besides looking quite elegant, really seems to promise the kind of car I'm looking for.<<<<p>I am the same: after 10 BMW's (lately a 1998 328i) I finbally switched, and now drive a C320. Great decision, and one I am very happy I made.<p>>>>Anyway, the U.S. cars both have leather, or partial leather<<<<p>Standard leather seating and artificial material for sides etc. I have the full leather, but even that looks like plastic. It's touch though.<p><br>>>>Second, I understand Mercedes uses body cladding<<<<p>Yes. I saw my car from below before I even saw it above. It's great. And as for flood waters: you are surely not going to drive the Merc through rivers?<p>Michael<p>ps see <A HREF="http://www.mvw.net/pics/c320/">http://www.mvw.net/pics/c320/</A> for pictures :)<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, I have the same car you did (more)

Thanks Mike.<p>I'll try to steer around rivers and lakes (not getting the Nav system ;-). Twice we've had floods here, and I had to drive through some puddles that were more than 6 inches.<p>I too have a 98 328i, stick shift. It's never broken down but it makes so many noises both over bumps and from vibrations and temperature changes (pops from the windshield/dash). There are more serious problems too, but these noises are an everyday annoyance.<p>I may just have a Monday car, but I'm hoping MB builds more solid cars.<p>Also, I've always liked the interior of the CLK, and the new C is very similar in overall design. I especially like the Quartz/Oyster interior color. (It would go best with a non-metallic dark red, but maybe dark blue...) I swear BMW uses cardboard for that glovebox door. I mean it's not the most important thing in a car, but really.<p>Thanks for the info and the pics. Was Tele-Aid standard on your car? The U.S. site implies all you need to do is sign up; the German site explains it's an option.<p>If you traded in, do you mind if I ask what you got for your trade (assuming MSRP for the new car)? Was it more than 10% less than private asking prices in your area?<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: more

Hi Mike,<p>My 328 gave me no problems, but I had leased that and te lease came up - did not want to lease again. <p>Tele-aid is standard in the US but not in Canada: it;s a very expensive option here. I figured, being a raiod ham I could do without it. As for nav, I biught a $400 Garmin e-map instead. :)<p>>>>I'm hoping MB builds more solid cars.<<<<p>So far, this MB is extremely solid in all respects. Yes, I did have a rattle in the right door and a squeeky seat, but both were solved very quickly by the dealer. (An internal door mount bracket had broken; and the seat simply needed greasing).<p>Hope you go ahead and it all works out for you. As said, I have not regretted the decision - and that is after 10 consecutive BMW's (3's and 5's).<p>Mike<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leather

On the premium leather car, everything is leather.<br>On the standard car, ONLY the perforated center strips are leather (the pieces with the little holes in them). All the other pieces are vinyl. Its actually a pretty small amount of leather in the standard car.<p>: Well, I have so many questions but I'll try to start with only a few. I'm a repenting BMW owner, and the new C class, besides looking quite elegant, really seems to promise the kind of car I'm looking for.<p>Anyway, the U.S. cars both have leather, or partial leather as I understand it, standard, and premium leather is an option. I haven't seen the differences discussed yet, does anyone know what they are?<p>Second, I understand Mercedes uses body cladding under the car to replace the cosmoline coating for corrosion protection, and also to help aerodynamics. Anyone know if this creates additional issues driving through flood waters? I'm worried about water leaking in there.<p>Third, do I understand correctly that there are visible differences in the HVAC controls between the two U.S. models?<p>Thanks for any help!<br><p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts