Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Is any product NECESSARY to preserve the leather as long as you do your best to keep car out of the sun?

thanks

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Eventualy yes. Saddle soap is what I'd sugesst.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Try Griot's Garage leather care products. Lexol makes a good product as well. Do not use Leatherique, the company owner is a schister...

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
EuroCoupe - 5/12/2005 8:36 PM

Try Griot's Garage leather care products. Lexol makes a good product as well. Do not use Leatherique, the company owner is a schister...
Whats this about Leatherique? I have heard a lot of good things about their products...what happend that the owner is a schister?

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Also,

andrew--i use Formula 2001 Super Protectant, its made by Turtle Wax...looks good on my interior..look around for my threads you'll see...

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Whats this about Leatherique? I have heard a lot of good things about their products...what happend that the owner is a schister?
http://www.500ecstasy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1932

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
andrew_falky - 5/14/2005 10:20 AM

Hi All,

Is any product NECESSARY to preserve the leather as long as you do your best to keep car out of the sun?

thanks
I use Meguiars 'Gold Class' leather cleaner and conditioner. It's an excellent product, imo. It doesn't leave my leather with an artificial shine, it smells pleasant and the end result is leather that’s soft and supple.

That's the key to leather maintenance; you want the leather to be soft and supple and not ever dry out.

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
I have found turtle wax products to be highly functionable to deep rince the leather for fat and grit and all that other stuff you don't want any more, bring out the new shine and condition it very well! I bought new interior for my SEC, and it was stiffer then I wished...

two rounds of the turtle wax and it's a hole different interior!

for those of us that have out cars stored parts of the year (1 month or more) use elefant fat! this is the sweetest leather product I have ever seen & used!

just get it on there, and let it sit for months at a time, when ready, polish off and walla!

Englevakten

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
what hapens when one doesnt use a leather conditioner, fat and dirt gets into the poors of the leather, plus the moisture degrades and the leather stiffens up, making it vounarable to tear&wear

englevakten

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
Zymol Treat. solvent free all-natural cream that feeds your leather with beef collagen.

if that is too expensive then use Lexol leather treatment. i use their equestrian line but now they have an automotive line.

both these products feed your leather. you must clean your leather first.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
34 Posts
I have small tears in the leather approaching the front windows on posts right at the corner of the shoulder-strap adjustable clamp. Does anyone have any reccomendations for repairing this problem and has anyone else experienced this with the 560SEL?

Thanks,

Sterling

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,108 Posts
SoulvilleUSA - 5/13/2005 1:32 PM

I have small tears in the leather approaching the front windows on posts right at the corner of the shoulder-strap adjustable clamp. Does anyone have any reccomendations for repairing this problem and has anyone else experienced this with the 560SEL?

Thanks,

Sterling
The cover on the B-pillars behind the front doors is not leather, its plastic.

Try some vinyl repair kit or pull the part from a wrecked car.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
The boycot of leatherique seems like more of a personal attack than anything else.
I will continue to use their products. As the folks at Rolls Royce say, "its simply the best".
After all the mercedes slogan is, " Das beste oder nichts" I want the best.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
The boycot of leatherique seems like more of a personal attack than anything else.
True, it did involve one person at first. But this person designed, created, and posted a banner ad that was approved by Leatherique on his 500E website for 3 months based on an agreement that Leatherique would pay a measily $250 for a lifetime sponsorship of the website. After spending those 3 months trying to track down his money and receiving replies that "the money is on the way," the owner never paid and could care less to contact him. The website owner was a huge proponent of Leatherique on his website and it obviously works fine, but there are simple principles in life and for a big-time company to stick this guy with the problem over $250 is insane. That being said, go out and buy a bunch so the owner gets his $250 back if he ever pays up.[B)]

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
We are only hearing one side of the story. Not that means there is any misrepresentation, but it is from the viewpoint of the one offended. No business can stay in business for long if this is their normal way of treating people.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
I agree about the one side of the story. What's interesting is that the owner of Leatherique has logged on the site, created a user name, and has viewed the thread several times but has not attempted to reply or state his side of the story. This has been verified by the site creator who can track the location of the ISPs and proper names of email address owners.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts