Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,<br>
<br>
1. How can I tell whether my leather is all leather, or 'inserts', or all plastic? I honestly cannot tell. All looks like vinyl, actually. :) Any ideas?<br>
<br>
2. Does anyone make aftermarket wood? I would really, really like real wood, not this plastic (or at least plastic-covered) stuff.<br>
<br>
Michael<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is very hard to distinguish between<br> 'twin' leather (a leather with inserts of<br> good, old mb-tex) and a real leather. The best<br> way to check is to see option codes list. It is<br> on the datacard located on the back of service<br> book. There is a list of all possible codes<br> on the www.mbspy.com page, but it is far from<br> being complete. I didn't heard anything about<br> aftermarket wood panels. However, those panels<br> look pretty sophisticated; they have 3 independent layers: 1-wood-like layer covered<br> with clear paint, 2-metal reinforcement made<br> of 1mm thick steel and 3-inside plastic made of<br> polypropylene or whatever.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird

Michal,<br> <br> Mmm... my vehicle info sheet says it's leather, but this was an early production model, so a few of those items are wrong. And the dealer did not charge me for leather. The door sides look like it - but the seats all look like vinyl to me.<br> <br> As for the wood panels: good stuff, but I'd really like it without the plastic. Makes it look cheap - in fact my kids still refuse to believe it's wood. :)<br> <br> Michael<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Weird

Yeah, those panels look a bit 'overengineered'<br> but they lack style. Nothing new for a<br> mercedes;)<br> This 'new' leather imho looks more like<br> some artificial material than a real leather.<br> And they are much more sensitive to wearing -<br> 7000km and i have some scratches on it.<br> On the other hand, i'm going to replace all wood<br> panels with alu ones, like those from AMG.<br> It would be...7 pieces total? Will get a quote<br> from the stealer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Weird

its actually quite easy to tell the difference. look at the door panel that has the SRS emblem. Notice if it is a vinal feel, and has holes. OR. If it is wrinkled and soft. <br> holes = non leather<br> soft = leather<br> <br> jason

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leather?

Doors are wrinkled. But my car is an early production model so I suspect the doors ARE leather but the seats are not. I really cannot see how they can be anything but vinyl - if they are leather, they are not the quality I'm used to!<br> <br> Michael<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No moron

I have option 201 but it looks plasticy. <br> <br> Oh and Al, I am not a moron; I am an engineer and a company Chief Technology Officer. Many here have commented on the difficulty telling leather and vinyl apart in these cars. A friend has an S320 and his leather looks like leather. In mine, when you press down hard, the pattern all disappears, which is the way vinyl behaves. <br> <br> Also, it is rude to call people Moron, but of course you know that.<br> <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: No moron

I have seen Michael's car and I found hard to believe the seats are leather. Yes, the doors are wrinkled and 100% leather. My E320 leather seats are very real, not like his. My C320 is MB-Lex and leather seat inserts. I can't tell the differnce between mine and his.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts