Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to lease a 2000 S500 within the next couple of months. I am looking for a following information:

1. Has anyone here leased a used S-Class? If so, how is the experience so far?

2. What are the major technical issues that are common to S-class?

3. Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of? (I am aware of the pitfalls of leasing a used car in general), but I am looking for info specific to Mercedes vehicles and S-Class in particular.

4. Any other info/recommendations/suggestions on the subject.

Thank you in advance.

Eugene

·
Registered
2000 S500
8 Posts
Eugene,

I own a 2000 S500. Even though I love the car, I would STRONGLY recommend you ...

Eugene,

I own a 2000 S500. Even though I love the car, I would STRONGLY recommend you go for the 2001 model year.

Here are my reasons:

1. First iteration of new body, lots of kinks were worked out the following year.

2. There were two big flaws that MB did not see. One, the analog phone is not always upgradable (mine is not) which was very shortsided on their part. Two, there is a bulletin on an A/C replacement that i had done and it is a big job.

3. We also have an '01 in the family that just seems like a better car. Fit, finish, and all around feel of the car is better.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
'08 S65; '08 GL320CDI
16 Posts
I bought a 20K mile example last March and now have 30K miles.
- I would agree that the A...

I bought a 20K mile example last March and now have 30K miles.
- I would agree that the A/C does not cool well enough when the car is used for short trips (I live in Dallas). It is bearable but not ideal. On long trips it cools down OK. I always set it on "low" and I have the rear A/C which cranks out cold air much better and you can get it to blow up your shirt sleeve which will cool you off mas rapido! I need to have service look at the system and see what can be done.
- The phone is an issue if you want one in the car, nut is not otherwise.
- I have noticed no problems with my fit and finish and have not had any service issues in the last 10K miles.

Randy

·
Registered
2000 S500
8 Posts
Randy,

If your car was built between 7/99 and 12/99 there is a bulletin that will get y...

Randy,

If your car was built between 7/99 and 12/99 there is a bulletin that will get you a new A/C system. At least a larger evaporator. It is worth pushing the dealer for it.

BTW, I do the same thing with the rear A/C, but most cars do not have that option.

As far as fit and finish, I should have said 'the '01 seems a little tighter overall'. I do not have any fit and finish problems per se.

·
Registered
'08 S65; '08 GL320CDI
16 Posts
MBFriend,Thanks for the info. I had read on this forum that they were fixing pre Nov ...

MBFiend,

Thanks for the info. I had read on this forum that they were fixing pre Nov '99 cars and mine is a Nov. build. I am bringing it in soon for oil change and will push them on the issue.

Do you know the bulletin number so I can go in prepared?

Thanks again for the heads-up.

Randy

·
Registered
S500
1 Posts
I agree, if you can go for the 2K1, do it....we have both a 2000 and a 2001 and the '01 is...

I agree, if you can go for the 2K1, do it....we have both a 2000 and a 2001 and the '01 is like a totally different car. On the A/C note, how sure are you guys about the 7/99 - 12/99 production dates, on the fix??? My car's production date was 03/00, but the A/C sucks, its like the car never cools off!! Also, anyone have any problems with their venilated seats?? I have them front and rear and none of the passengers can feel any air!! Any help would be great, as I'm taking it in for warranty repairs on Wednesday, and would like to get everything fixed at once!!

·
Registered
'08 S65; '08 GL320CDI
16 Posts
I have asked the question before on the ventilated seats. I can barely tell (I think) tha...

I have asked the question before on the ventilated seats. I can barely tell (I think) that the seats are doing something. I think I feel a little cooler (I think) around the edge of my body when the seat is on (I think). Other than that who knows? Maybe they really cool you down I can't tell. When I have it in for an oil change I'm gonna ask them to make sure the entire climate control is working as designed and if it is then I will push for the upgrade. I can live with it as is but it could be better. AT least the rear A/C rocks! I have an 11/99 build date.

Randy

·
Registered
2000 S500
8 Posts
Re: I agree, if you can go for the 2K1, do it....we have both a 2000 and a 2001 and the '01 is

On the A/C note, how sure are you guys about the 7/99 - 12/99 production dates, on the fix??? My car's production date was 03/00, but the A/C sucks, its like the car never cools off!! Also, anyone have any problems with their venilated seats??
ericm007,

The dealer gave me those dates, so I am not 100% sure. Push the dealer on it if you have to, maybe you will get some satisfaction.

My ventilated seats are so-so also. I drove an earlier european model and it blew away my seats. Could have been reworked for US marlet, who knows.

Never hurts to ask the dealer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
MB2000S500

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2000 S500 WITH 10,000 MILES
SEEMS LIKE A GREAT CAR.INTEGRATED PHONE SYSTEM IS ANALOG,SO IT IS USELESS.ANY SUGESTIONS FOR RETROFIT OR NEW PRODUCTS TO USE THE SYSTEM??? HANDLES REAL WELL, FIT AND FINISH ARE FINE.I AM HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE SO FAR.

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
S430

The 2002 S-Class is the best so far. As with any car of any make, the first one or two years have minor problems that are solved later. I was looking at a used 2000 S500 but was disappointed with it's quality compared to a 2002 S430. I have had no problems with my new S. However, during my first 3 weeks of ownership of the new E I had so many problems that I had to sell it and get something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts