Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Learned 2 things about the car.

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Julien 
#1 ·
First, the automatic volume control on the radio is NOT speed sensitive. It's traffic noise sensitive. Had mine increased but don't really notice much of a difference. Maybe I need it cranked all the way up.

Secondly, the four "speakers" behind the driver are NOT "loud speakers" but are tweeters, so the volume will not be very loud.

#2 ·
I haven't been able to notice much change in the volume of the audio no matter how much louder the road noise gets. I have the Harman Kardan system. I find myself fiddling with the volume buttons on the steering wheel to counteract changes in the ambient noise level. I keep wondering if the unit is defective, or if something isn't set up right. I wonder if anyone else has noticed any dramatic (or even noticeable) changes in the audio based on changes in the ambient noise level.

Gary

#3 ·
CP1 - 3/6/2005 5:33 PM
...Secondly, the four "speakers" behind the driver are NOT "loud speakers" but are tweeters, so the volume will not be very loud.
I'm reasonably sure that this info is incorrect. The way Logic 7 works is that it takes a 2.0 music source (a second selectable logarithm is used for 2.0 soundtracks (movies) but not available on our system) and uses a proprietary 24 bit DSP chip to create 7 channels of full range sound and 1 LFE channel. All 7 channels are sent full frequency range so the speakers need to be full range and timbre matched. The LFE channel would be sent to the 2 subs in the doors.

I also remember seeing a MB tech info sheet in PDA format that listed the speakers and may have had a photo also.

#4 ·
Without reading the product literature...i.e., just listening...what the HK system seems to be about is providing a stereo image that is centered for the driver, and another centered for the passenger. I'd imagine the close-proximity rear tweeters and a bunch of DSP would play a large part in that.

On most music, I find it does it amazingly well.

#5 ·
The way Logic 7 works is that it takes a 2.0 music source (a second selectable logarithm is used for 2.0 soundtracks (movies) but not available on our system) and uses a proprietary 24 bit DSP chip to create 7 channels of full range sound and 1 LFE channel. All 7 channels are sent full frequency range so the speakers need to be full range and timbre matched. The LFE channel would be sent to the 2 subs in the doors.
Whatthe...

I am sure this is all true, but I will have to take your word for it!

cheers
roadsta

#6 ·
I sent my car back to the agent to look at the volume control which is supposed to auto adjust for ambient noise or road speed.

Initially I was advised that this feature was enabled - but I still could not detect it.

After an overnight stay and apparently a flurry of emails - I was advised that all ausie cars have not had this feature enabled.

Would be interested to hear from others

alsie

#7 ·
JeffVan - 3/7/2005 12:18 AM

Without reading the product literature...i.e., just listening...what the HK system seems to be about is providing a stereo image that is centered for the driver, and another centered for the passenger. I'd imagine the close-proximity rear tweeters and a bunch of DSP would play a large part in that.

On most music, I find it does it amazingly well.
Here is some info to help understand what and how on Logic 7 works.

On this link scroll down to page 36 of Operation Surround Mode Chart.
http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner%27s%20Manual/AVR%207300%20OM%20FINAL%20rev%206-3-04.pdf

Here you can click on an interactive demo.
http://www.harmankardon.com/technology/default.aspx?Language=ENG&Region=USA&Country=US

Harman Kardon

An active matrix decoding system, developed by Lexicon and used in several Harman products, that can convert two-channel signals into five or seven channel signals, and five-channel signals into seven channels. It has modes optimized for movie and music sound tracks, and conventional stereo music recordings. It is especially designed to maintain a solid front soundstage, while expanding the perceived ambience beyond the room walls. An automotive version addresses the unique circumstances of listening within cars. See: Matrix Encode/Decode.

#9 ·
As I have said before the system is not correctly balanced. See this thread.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1195988&posts=10&fid=27
The 4 rear channels are too low. Have asked my service tech to check and see if they can adjust the rears. I am going to take in next week to have my Sirius antenna painted and will let them look for a rear channel level controls. The rears need to be about 4 to 6 dB louder for a correct balance. I also believe that the center is about 1 to 3 dB too loud. If anyone is taking their car in for service see if they can find the adjustment for the rears.

#10 ·
the Logic 7 SS with the Harmon Kardon speakers are awesome! the acoustics are far superior. again, i'm comparing with my traded-in car, which had the Premium Bose 6-speaker system. i'm not being biased because now i have my SLK 350, but i am really satisfied with the crisp details outlined by the HK sound system, which wasn't quite there with the Bose system.[:0]

#11 ·
The idea of the 7 Ch SS is not to hear lots of music coming from the "rear" but to act as a filler to give a mreo 3D sound. Try switching from STD to SS with music that has a lot happening (i.e. not solo piano). Listen for the difference.

My view (BTW) is that the steering logic gets carried away sometimes and pushed up parts of the musci that the producer did nt entend. This happens more with the top down.

#13 ·
The Blose systems in our Audis were major dissapointments, needing replacements three times. Must be a non-German OEM radio source. The HK system in the SLK is light years ahead, top up or down, although I too wish we could add a little more sound from behind the seats.

#14 ·
dsballdo - 3/7/2005 10:51 PM

The Blose systems in our Audis were major dissapointments, needing replacements three times. Must be a non-German OEM radio source...
Bose is about the most over hyped, overpriced, under performing product sold. The quality of materials used and workmanship is abominable. Bose is completely detested by the Hi-Fi/Home Theater community. No highs no lows it must be blows. Here is a site that will give you an idea of how poor the quality is.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.