Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
especially the second paragraph. Oh and welcome to Kalifornia.
================================
"California courts have held that ... parents do not have a constitutional right to homeschool their children," Justice H. Walter Croskey said in the 3-0 ruling issued on Feb. 28. "Parents have a legal duty to see to their children's schooling under the provisions of these laws."
Parents can be criminally prosecuted for failing to comply, Croskey said.

"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare," the judge wrote, quoting from a 1961 case on a similar issue.
Union pleased with ruling

"We're happy," said Lloyd Porter, who is on the California Teachers Association board of directors. "We always think students should be taught by credentialed teachers, no matter what the setting."

Homeschoolers' setback sends shock waves through state

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Judges can start wars. There are about 160,000 home schooled kids in California. This is a good example of Gimmiecrat-union-liberals using a court to accomplish something that they could never do in the legislature.

·
Registered
19,471 Posts
"Union pleased with ruling" = Job security!

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
While I know some very smart parents who homeschool their kids and have excellent results from the process, I also know a couple of very flawed individuals who also homeschool their kids and their children are going to grow up to be illiterate basketcases, unable to socialize within society.

Parents have no fundamental right to homeschool their children. Children really need to have full socialization skills [the ability to play with others] from the get go and oft times that does not occur when the children are cloistered within the home environment 24/7.

I also disagree with the second paragraph of the judges ruling. It might have rung true in 1961 but seems anachronistic in today's society. The only parts that still hold true are good citizenship and as a means of protecting the public welfare [which I take to mean teaching kids well enough to function productively in a working society].

I also think that it is in the best interest of children that credentialed teachers be utilized in their education. It provides both a level of consistency and insures that Johnny Rambo doesn't decide to focus little bubba's curriculum entirely on the Book of Revelations and survival skills of the Ozarks.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Judges can start wars. There are about 160,000 home schooled kids in California. This is a good example of Gimmiecrat-union-liberals using a court to accomplish something that they could never do in the legislature.
You might wonder then why those Democrat-union-liberals would turn to a Republican, conservative Judge like Justice H. Walter Croskey for their ruling.

Seems counterintuitive, now doesn't it?

·
Registered
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where does kid learn the "bad stuff" ? That's right, from their peers in school.
On the other hand, many kids nowadays can benefit from full attention and
discipline from a loving parent.

·
66,899 Posts
Where does kid learn the "bad stuff" ? That's right, from their peers in school.
Yes Mr Koresh

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
You might wonder then why those Democrat-union-liberals would turn to a Republican, conservative Judge like Justice H. Walter Croskey for their ruling.

Seems counterintuitive, now doesn't it?
Well, Croskey wrote the opinion for a 3 judge State appeals court, which no one gets to shop. Their ruling overturned a juvenile trial judge that refused to send the kids to public school as part of a child welfare action. Seems that the welfare agency was looking for the school to keep their eyes on the kids for non-educational reasons. The case may yet end up in the state supreme court. My reference was to the side-line hand-clapping of the Teacher's Association (union) who can't outlaw homeschooling through legislative action.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Yes Mr Koresh

hahahahaha

zinggggggggggggggggggggggg...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts