Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1980 450SL, Genuine Buddy 125cc Scooter
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! #1 cyl metal line is leaking at the injector.

It squirts out between the line and the sleeve where you tighten the line to the injector.

What began months ago as a wet area, then began to stink of diesel last week and I saw my fuel consumption increase dramatically.. is now a fully visible action-packed leak! It was dribbling at first yesterday so I tightened it up and -that is what made it squirt as it runs.

Ive since stopped driving it.

I wonder if the injector is plugged?
I thought about moving the lines around to see if it was the compression fitting/or a plugged injector but I worry that the lines are a 1 use item. Moneys tight so Id only like to replace what is necessary.

Thank you all very much for any input in resolving this.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
If it really is leaking on the Steel tubing it is cracked or has a pin hole.

They can develop a pin hole all by themselves but that is uncommon. More common is that over the years people have lost the Clamps that hold the linest together and vibration causes a crack.

Get another from a Junk Yard. Out here in CA they were $6 each.
If you run you Car like that long enough the Cost of the Fuel you lose is going to cost more than a used Fuel Injection Line.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats awesome man, there are many euro salvage yards here in the Tampa area Im going to grab a set tomorrow, cant hurt if I can get them that cheap.

Is it worth getting used injectors and rebuilding them? or should I just get new ones??

AutohausAZ has the for around 50 each.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
A blocked injector would not cause this, the fuel would be pushed into the return lines.

Another cause for leakage could be if the injector line is attached to the injector under tension.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
When the Injector gets entirely blocked the Fuel has no where to go and the Injection line shears in 2 pieces.

On Direct Injection type Injectors if only the Tip Plugs the tip will blow off of the End of the Nozzle.

I have seen both of the above things happen; but, not often where I used to work.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just returned home with a set of lines from an 81 300D.

"... More common is that over the years people have lost the Clamps that hold the linest together and vibration causes a crack." -300Dman

Im betting thats the case with mine as the clamp is missing. I made sure to get the entire set plus the clamps in 1 piece. Plus as I mentioned earlier, it became worse as I tried to tighten it on the injector - making it squirt out to the pavement and all over the fender lol.

got th torque wrench out along w a crows foot, wish me luck, and thank you all for your help. I hope this post helps another...

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
just returned home with a set of lines from an 81 300D.

"... More common is that over the years people have lost the Clamps that hold the linest together and vibration causes a crack." -300Dman

Im betting thats the case with mine as the clamp is missing. I made sure to get the entire set plus the clamps in 1 piece. Plus as I mentioned earlier, it became worse as I tried to tighten it on the injector - making it squirt out to the pavement and all over the fender lol.

got th torque wrench out along w a crows foot, wish me luck, and thank you all for your help. I hope this post helps another...
In the pic you see the proper Tool for the Fuel Injection Line Torque.
In the next pic you see a Cows foot 90 degrees from the Wrench. If you are using a Crows Foot that positon will not change the Torque.

If the Crows Foot was pointing straight out inline with the Wrench handle you would need to calculate how much longer the Crows Foot makes the Wrench and adjust the amount of torque for that.
If you search the internet you can find the formula for that.

However, On the Mercedes the tips of the Fuel Injection Lines are resonably hardened and they tend not to get a ring worn into them from the past owners tightening them too much; and that is good.

You could end up in a situation where after the Torque there might be a leak. If that happens you are going to have to try to tighten a little more.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the lines and no leaks. Also replaced the viton hoses..well i guess I had too, they all snapped as I tried to get them off. No big deal, it was $3/yard. I suppose next ill tackle the injectors -nozzles.. Although at around $55/nozzle including heat shield I may just break them apart and soak everything in a gallon can of parts cleaner then bring them to a shop to have them tested and balanced, whatever that is. But thats another post.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts