Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After thinking I just had a bad upper radiator hose, (and replacing same) I've discovered my leak in my 98 E300TD is really happening where the core meets the driver side case. (leaking heavily down the side of the radiator case). I'm not very familiar with this style of radiator. Are they repairable. With 150k on the car, is a radiator repair worth it compared to the $300 Rusty charges for a replacement unit?

·
Registered
35,782 Posts
Is the leak coming from a hole, or did the clamps holding plastic ends corroded and the parts separated at the seal?
For a hole you can use a sealer. To my experience, the silver powder, what is on the market for decades and usually the cheapest works the best.
With corroded clamps you are out of luck.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
After thinking I just had a bad upper radiator hose, (and replacing same) I've discovered my leak in my 98 E300TD is really happening where the core meets the driver side case. (leaking heavily down the side of the radiator case). I'm not very familiar with this style of radiator. Are they repairable. With 150k on the car, is a radiator repair worth it compared to the $300 Rusty charges for a replacement unit?
Hi, Jim. Times like this I consider Click 'n Clack's sage advice: repairing a car is always cheaper than a new one. Of course with MB's I modify that: if the car is otherwise okay and has been properly maintained, them fixing is cheaper than replacing.

So if your oiler is otherwise in good shape -- and you plan to keep it -- them buy the radiator. While Alumaseal may work for a time, that sounds like a seam and it will ultimately fail...and then probably at the worst possible time. After all the diesel variants of these cars are known to go 3-4 times the mileage you have--again, when well maintained.

$300 is am awesome price, cheapest I saw online was $60 more than that, just be sure Rusty is putting in a quality unit. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Try

radiator.com oem radiators or after market oe ones for great prices delivered from several warehouses around the country.
:bowdown:
if you find a lower price they will beat it by ten percent

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good advice

radiator.com oem radiators or after market oe ones for great prices delivered from several warehouses around the country.
:bowdown:
if you find a lower price they will beat it by ten percent
Bought a great radiator from Radiator.com

A fellow at Central Radiator here in Tampa looked it over and said that this was a VERY GOOD QUALITY radiator, made by Behr

There are two brands I've found that work for the E300 TurboDiesel Behr and Reach (The Behr units are better quality from what I've heard)

I've also heard that the Radiator.com lifetime warranty is one of the best out there

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jim, after removal, could you tell the cause of the failure of the original radiator? My 1998 E300tD w 196,000 just developed the same type leak.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Add one more to the list. I also have a 98 E300D. My radiator has been leaking at the exact same location yours is leaking. I replaced the main heater hose, tried an additional clamp no change. Coolant running down the radiator, drivers side, from the hose fitting down. Was planning on diving in to this issue, this weekend. Yes, I replaced the hose, first thing and no change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts