Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a '92 300D. The seller had a mechanic check injector pump pressure and in so doing removed the number 1 injector; in re-installing this it has shown leaks coming up out of space where the nozzle screws into the injector body. Have removed and retightened the two, but, still leaks. Is this a sign the injector is bad? Also, have noticed in this process that there appears to be small compression leak. Where fuel has acumulated around the pre-chamber I can see some bubbling as if the pre-chamber-head seal lacks integrity. Can this be corrected by tightening the pre-chamber? I've seen a splined socket at PP4Benz--is this the right route to try first, or is it likely that I will have to replace the prechamber as well? Or, is this normal for an engine with 140K?Read the forum frequently, and appreciate the quality of replies I've seen.

·
Registered
VW TDI, 300D TD,
15 Posts
Sounds like he re-used the small washer like seal that is installed between the cylinder head and the bottom of the injector. You should replace them if possible when you remove the injectors., they will leak also if any dirt gets caught between the seal and the mating surfaces. Remove the inj, clean it good use a new seal if possible and BE careful when re-installing the injector so as to not get any dirt in there. re-torque and try that. I have had fuel squirting and bubbling out between the injectors and the head because of dirt in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion. I had replaced that seal upon cleaning, but may well have overlooked something on the surfaces. Since the engine runs otherwise very smoothly, I tend to think/hate to replace an otherwise good injector. Thanks for your take.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts