Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Leaky bits

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  aaronsb 
#1 ·
So lets say hypothetically there was a 416L doka that has a double clutch, and that truck was leaking pretty good from the rear main seal, as well as the transmission input seal. The clutch has a bit of chatter when attempting to go from a standstill.

Would you bother taking the whole damn thing apart and fixing all the seals in the gearbox and engine, or just keep adding oil?

#3 ·
If you drive on the road, fix it, the 2 wheeled motorcycle riders wouldnt want to go slip sliding away.

If you go through water, the little fishies and other water creatures including the tree huggers would appreciate it.

If you are married, live with your parents and had a beautiful interlock driveway, or had a garage with a cement floor, it wouldnt look ugly or be a health hazard from falling.

To keep filling it would only make the oil companies happy, and richer.

#11 ·
What Trevor said is true per my manual and looking at doing just this on my Om352 a few weeks ago.... Seeing as it wasn't leaking I didn't mess with it. I also have the seals in hand and they appear to be 2 parts, and a pain to install.

I have read older threads where some have done the lower seal by pulling just the pan, but I would plan on pulling the motor and what ever is attached as one unit if you can to do the top half as the crank has to be removed.

#9 ·
Love to but I'm getting an error trying to run it :(

Likely related to the release of Java I just updated, leave it to them to $&^% something up.

EDIT: huh, lookie that, roll back Java, all is good. Buggers.

What transmission Code are we talking here?

#12 ·
Just for a laugh i'd try 'oil seal rejuvenator' in the engine oil. it swells the up the seals by 5% and lasts as long as the oil is in the engine. its been used by me very sucessfully on old tractors and Landrovers saving a lot of time and hassle rebuilding engines.

:thumbsup:

j

#14 ·
so the loose torque tube would affect the suspension and cause float feeling?... yikes.

Im sure most here know this.. but for any newbie reading.... T.Tube is the third member of a three member suspension on Mogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.