Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 300CD Turbo
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn my 300CD. This thing leaks like a siv, the transmission seal is leaking, valve cover leaking, axle leaking. Mercedes says all this will cost a total of $3800 to have repaired. They also say that the turbo might be leaking as well which would be $4200 for a new one, even though it only has 30,000 miles on the turbo. Shit the car only has 78,000 miles on it. This is not to mention that I had the fuel injector pump replaced 2 years ago for $4000. This car is really seeming to be a money pit.

BTW, is there a MERCEDES BENZ CLUB of AMERICA that offers a service discount if you subscribe to their magazine?

:crybaby2:

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Many dealers offer a discount from 10 to 20% if you belong to MBCA. It depends on the dealer and you have to ask. To join MBCA, go to Mercedes-Benz Club of America. Feel free to use my membership number as your sponsor - S012930.

I was standing at a dealer parts counter Saturday and heard a guy ask about a parts discount. He wasn't an MBCA member, so he had to pay the full price. I told him about the MBCA discount at that dealer for parts and service and that he could save his $45 membership fee on just one visit and he's joining to get the discount.

Len

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Why do you go to a dealer? Find a decent independent shop that works on MB cars.
Resealing the transmission should be under $ 1000, valve cover probably only about $ 50, the turbo probably only needs a new oil return line O-rings. Is it the differential housing seals that are leaking or the axle CV boots?

BTW, it is a sieve, not "siv".

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 300CD Turbo
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad, LOL.

Figured most wouldn't understand that spelling...

Sieve, (n) siv

A strainer for separating lumps from powdered material or grading particles
- screen

It's not the CV boots leaking it is the inner axle seal in the rear. And I tried all the other import repair services and they are close to equaling the same price as my VON HAUSEN mercedes.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Besides - it's a CD...

84300CD said:
This car is really seeming to be a money pit.
Hang in there: I know it’s tough but remember that assuming your car is rust-free whatever you spend will be less than a new car or a new/used where you’re buying more problems.

·
Registered
1981 300D
646 Posts
All those prices are WAY through the roof. An entire seals kit list price is 215.97
For a valve cover gasket its only for the list 14.50
and for the two seals for the differ its just under 40

Also I am unaware of the price of the turbo, however I have seen rebuilt ones for under 500. I took a quick look at the list prices of the nessassery gaskets and all together they dont exceed 300 if I remember right. Your dealer is a crook

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
I have two new axle differential seals for my '83 300SD and I think I only paid about $ 15 or 20 for both (parts only). The transmission reseal quote of less than $ 1000 I got from the local independent shop that works on MB cars. This includes removal and reinstallation of the transmission. Fortunately, my transmission is not leaking - it was only the power steering pump reservoir gasket that was leaky and fluid was blown all over, including the transmission pan!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts