Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ML 320 developed a trans fluid leak recently. Just before I drove it to my Indy shop(35miles), I discovered that it leaked only when the engine was running. One of the trans fluid coolant lines had cracked where it goes into the trans. $300 repair....not bad. Was 2 qts low from driving it to the shop....lucky. Cleaning up the bottom, they discovered another leak at the neck of the steering rack. He told me that the neck was $500 with a lot of labor to install and that it was a real pita. He suggested a rebuilt rack with a 2 yr warranty for $500 plus labor. He told me they have replaced a number of the racks, heads and trans lines to the cooler. The new line is updated to be stronger
Anybody else have any of these issues? I'm at 106k and haven't spent much money on it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My ML 320 developed a trans fluid leak recently. Just before I drove it to my Indy shop(35miles), I discovered that it leaked only when the engine was running. One of the trans fluid coolant lines had cracked where it goes into the trans. $300 repair....not bad. Was 2 qts low from driving it to the shop....lucky. Cleaning up the bottom, they discovered another leak at the neck of the steering rack. He told me that the neck was $500 with a lot of labor to install and that it was a real pita. He suggested a rebuilt rack with a 2 yr warranty for $500 plus labor. He told me they have replaced a number of the racks, heads and trans lines to the cooler. The new line is updated to be stronger

Anybody else have any of these issues? I'm at 106k and haven't spent much money on it.

On my ‘08 ML320 the head on the steering rack decided to leak profoundly with no warning.
Only thing I can point to was that I had just finished brake replacement and had manually manipulated the steering at the axle vs using the steering wheel.
Next morning there was a small pool of steering fluid. Repair was a rebuilt rack at the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out this post: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class/1810977-ml350-steering-rack-power-pump-failures.html

Especially comments #7 & #13.

In my case I only needed the O-ring under the Power Steering fluid reservoir replaced.
Thanks for that link. My indy is getting a rebuilt rack that he has faith in with a 2yr warranty and he warrantees their installation for a year. He said it about $500 and I'm sure he's doubling it. I'm not in the position to have much input as I am 35miles away in the sticks and having to rent a car. My only neighbor is away at the beach. One of the prices you pay for living out in the sticks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Loneryder
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing