Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my passenger side CV axle this past weekend following direction from this forum. Now I have a slow transmission fluid leak coming from the point where the CV axle goes into the transmission. I noticed the burning smell and have found 3 spots on my drive way slightly bigger than a quarter from the last 3 times I have parked.

I am 99% positive that I snapped the circlip in all the way to the transmission when I put the new CV axle in. Is there a seal/ O ring or something that could have gone bad or fallen off that I didn't notice?

What should I do?

Thanks,

2002 E320 4matic
150,000 miles

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
I just had the same issue. I was positive that I pushed it all the way in. However, after removing the wheel and checking the hub, it pushed in slightly further. I'm thinking that even though it was pushed in, the clip just didn't seat out all the way, and the axle worked its way out. So, far it's been two days and no further leakage.

Also, follow the sticky for changing the front differential oil. It's so easy to do at this time. And, since you've lost some, you will need to add more anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts