Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Is there a way (short of removing it) to identify whether you have the new style cover or the old one? Are there numbers or other marks on the outside of the cover to differentiate between new and old? I have a '99 E430.
I'm not sure when it was redesigned. However, if it's not leaking, I'd be inclined to ignore it, just check it every so often to see if it's starting to leak. OTOH it's a cheap and easy enough repair, so if you're losing sleep over it, order the parts and take care of it. Autohausaz sells the port cover and gasket although shipping is likely to eat up any cost savings, at least if your dealers are only charging list for the parts. Alternatively you can order some other stuff (filters, wiper blades, idler pulley?, etc.) and get free shipping at $50.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not sure when it was redesigned. However, if it's not leaking, I'd be inclined to ignore it, just check it every so often to see if it's starting to leak. OTOH it's a cheap and easy enough repair, so if you're losing sleep over it, order the parts and take care of it. Autohausaz sells the port cover and gasket although shipping is likely to eat up any cost savings, at least if your dealers are only charging list for the parts. Alternatively you can order some other stuff (filters, wiper blades, idler pulley?, etc.) and get free shipping at $50.
Thanks for the quick reply! I haven't lost any sleep, but mine has been leaking. I decided to just go to the dealer and got the new style cover, new style rubber gasket and a copper crush washer. Hopefully, I'll be able to tackle the job this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was leaking so I went to the dealership and purchased the new cover, gasket, and crush washer. It still leaked, so I went to Pep Boys, bought some rubberized gasket material and made a gasket for the "Old" cover. I put some high temp gasket sealant on it, re-installed it, and no more leak.

·
Registered
2000 ML320 / 1988 300SE / 1985 380SE / 1969 280SE
180 Posts
Old vs New cover with new gasket

Left - old one
Right - new one
Top - new gasket

Installation of the gasket onto the cover
Which way is correct?
Second or third photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,920 Posts
I just replaced the cover and used the second photo for gasket orientation - no leaks. In this orientation the gasket sits flush against the cover plate.

In the other orientation, the gasket bows off of the cover and will probably leak.

I also used a gasket sealer, since the seating surface area is not well covered by the gasket.

If I had to do it over, would remove the serpentine belt next time to have better access for the lower bolt.

·
Registered
2001 CLK430
143 Posts
Is there a similar item on an E420? I'm trying to track down an oil leak which hit the exhaust and stinks.

Todd
97 e420

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Is there a similar item on an E420? I'm trying to track down an oil leak which hit the exhaust and stinks.

Todd
97 e420
No, this is on the modular engines. Moreover, this leak is on the *front* of the engine, nowhere near the exhaust.
Yours is mre likely a valve cover, breather, filler, etc...something above the exhaust. You simply need to investigate further.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 w211 E320 base
136 Posts
Here it is installed and also the diagram they gave me showing 4 parts replaced. The black around the new cover is a light coat of black silicone which helped keep gasket in place while installing.
hi, im a noob to this, and i already ordered #20,29, any idea on where i can find # 32,35 which is the bolt and the washer, i looked all over auto parts stores and online i quit still cant find the part number for that bolt # 32 (in your diagram you posed here on page 2 of this thread) and the part number for that washer # 35 (in your diagram you posted here on page 2 of this thread)...i hope it aint late enough for me to revive this thread :)
i also cant get em from the dealer because the closest one is 2 hrs away from where i stay so im hoping i could find them online.
any help would be alot appreciated.
thx in advance.
i found this one in autohausAZ website when i searched by part grouping , if you type this part number on there website 000000000884 you will see it, i already ordered this, i hope its the right bolt...lol

·
Registered
2004 w211 E320 base
136 Posts
Left - old one
Right - new one
Top - new gasket

Installation of the gasket onto the cover
Which way is correct?
Second or third photo.
This Message is Moderated
hello,

my question is about your pictures on page number 3 on this thread , i know your second pic is the correct Installation of the gasket onto the cover, but what i see is how you made the center bolt of the cover go throu the gasket in order to reach the copper piece as shown on your first pic on your old cover? in other words did you rip off the rubber circle in the center of the new gasket so that the bolt could reach the rectangular copper peace in the center of the cover or did you install the copper piece underneath the new gasket , i mean in between the cover and the gasket as i cant see the copper piece in either your second or third pic.
any help about this matter would be appreciated.
thx in advance.

·
Registered
07 C280 4Matic, 88 MR2-SC
635 Posts
ganimo

The first photo show the original cover, before MB redesigned it, it used a square type gasket that fit into a grove that's on the outside of the cover and the center bolt was much more flush with the cover-plate so it protruded farther.

NP

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
does anyone have the size of the 3 bolts that are removed to change this gasket?
???

Three?

There are only two bolts that secure the cover plate. Knowing MB, I would guess they are an E-torx of some kind, probably E8 or E10. No matter, though: if you plan on actually doing DIY things on your car, then just buy a small set of these sockets, about $25 at Sears or most auto parts stores in the Lisle brand, which is more than adequate quality for the DIYer. Buying them one at a time as the need arises is just frustrating and very expensive.

Also, please note that the cover has itself been redesigned, as has the gasket. If you have this leak you should source the new cover and new gasket. You can re-use the old plug if you desire.

If you choose, you can look up all of the parts through the EPC, subscription is free to US residents.

Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
???

Three?

There are only two bolts that secure the cover plate. Knowing MB, I would guess they are an E-torx of some kind, probably E8 or E10. No matter, though: if you plan on actually doing DIY things on your car, then just buy a small set of these sockets, about $25 at Sears or most auto parts stores in the Lisle brand, which is more than adequate quality for the DIYer. Buying them one at a time as the need arises is just frustrating and very expensive.

Also, please note that the cover has itself been redesigned, as has the gasket. If you have this leak you should source the new cover and new gasket. You can re-use the old plug if you desire.

If you choose, you can look up all of the parts through the EPC, subscription is free to US residents.

Good luck.
so, are you saying that the cover itself is secured using two bolts, but there is a PLUG that screws into the cover itself, which im confusing as a third bolt that secures the cover???

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
so, are you saying that the cover itself is secured using two bolts, but there is a PLUG that screws into the cover itself, which im confusing as a third bolt that secures the cover???
Seems likely.

Have you actually read through all of this thread and the one linked in it to the 163 forum?

If so all of your questions are there answered, as well..including pictures. ;)

·
Registered
'04 W211 with the 302, '98 silver W210 (1st owner was Benjamin Franklin)
16 Posts
Confusing and frustrating... Paid for my tech to fix this leak and it lasted for 24 hours before bad leak resumed! Removed fan, shroud, belt and tensioner (remember to insert pin to hold tensioner open) I could not find a leak because I was ignoring the newly replaced cover. Replaced all removed parts and watched at idle to see oil pouring from the replaced cover.
Thanks for all the above insight. Will pull new-style cover, inspect for inverted gasket, clean well and replace with sealant.
Cheers!

·
Registered
'04 W211 with the 302, '98 silver W210 (1st owner was Benjamin Franklin)
16 Posts
Pulled the cover after the "mechanic" fixed it and it was still leaking profusely. The rubber gasket had been installed backwards. I flipped it and reinstalled (wish that I had had some gasket sealant) and started the car and revved to 2k rpm. No leaks. Hope that this is the end of it. Thanks for all the good advice.
The new style cover gasket my tech installed was backwards as well: The raised perimeter of the gasket should be towards engine, the raised, round protrusion in the middle of the new-style gasket, towards the cover. Cleaned and reinstalled with Permatex UltraBlack RTV. No leak!:grin

BTW Had this leak since purchase three years ago- slowly got worse, then started dumping before I took it to my tech to diagnose the leak. As written before in this thread, the leak appeared to be coming from behind the PS pump/AC compressor area, blowing onto exhaust pipe and 'stinking'. Feeling pretty stupid I didn't check the forums prior!

FYI:
Overview of new-style tensioner with new oil test-port cover just above.

Tensioner from below, held open with allen-key inserted (just to right of 17mm tension relief lug) in the loose-belt, CCW, position.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
2,364 Posts
To prevent further confusion here are images of the new port cover with the gaskets showing the correct installation position. The gasket on the left is the old style (2nd revision). Note that the 2nd picture shows how the oil would go through the small holes in the gasket on the right and then force the gasket to push out towards the cover sides and thus seal it.

Note the 3rd image shows the side of the gasket which faces the engine.

Torque on these bolts should be a max of 11Nm as they are very small:wink

Attachments

21 - 40 of 52 Posts