Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I was on my way to Lake Tahoe when I decided to take a brake and got off at the gas station. When I slowed down the whole car was shaking, as it was about to stall. Pup the hood and I saw 2 fuel injectors leaking fuel. Car was also making knocking sounds witch sure confirmed my injectors were bad and I decided to go ahead and head back home, the car was ok on the freeway and made it back over 160 miles on 100F outside up the hills!!. I will replace the injectors the overfill lines and fuel filters tomorrow. This car never stops to amaze me...........

·
Registered
2003 E500
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I was wrong cylinder number 4 had no compression. Engine had to come out and found out valve has burned out. I am not sure how did this happened but it did. Rest of the engine looks good, Will put in new valves and seals, and machine the head... At least now know in what condition the engine is.......[:D]

·
Registered
Mercedes 300D 1984
2 Posts
I read your last post where you described that shaking?

Was the shaking very pronounced? or subtle?

I have a shaking at idle which disappears @ around 1000-1100

am concerned that I have to rebuild or put a used Injection pump in which apparently is the cause of my moderate shake - I am wondering if I have your problem?

What do you think

Why was it decided to take the engine out?

Sincerely Glenn Strazds

Well I was wrong cylinder number 4 had no compression. Engine had to come out and found out valve has burned out. I am not sure how did this happened but it did. Rest of the engine looks good, Will put in new valves and seals, and machine the head... At least now know in what condition the engine is.......[:D]

·
Registered
2003 E500
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... First thing to do is to check for compression. If that’s ok then you can troubleshoot other parts. In my case compression on cylinder # 4 was 0!!!!!! So we new we had to open the head and then I found out it burned 2 valves. As far as shaking it started when I got off the freeway and it was very pronounced.

Zoran

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
THE VALVES PROBABLY BURNED DUE TO IMPROPER VALVE ADJUSTMENT OR LACK OF.... A MUST MUST M...

THE VALVES PROBABLY BURNED DUE TO IMPROPER VALVE ADJUSTMENT OR LACK OF.... A MUST MUST MUST DUE BEFORE COLD WEATHER SETS IN. DO IT AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR. (IN FALL)

·
Registered
300TD,C32AMG
45 Posts
Diesels inherently run lean...

less fuel just lowers the power output.Most likely cause of unhappy diesel valves is improper clearance.

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
burnt valves

There is no "rich' or "lean" in this diesel engine, only more or less power output. the engine is gulping all the air it can get at all times, you probably had wrong valve clearences--too tight- which will cause a burnout anytime. Accurate valve lash adjustment is a must for this engine, at annual service time.[:D]

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
gee...leaking injectors...lean?? make any sense? no . by the way...leaking injectors mea...

gee...leaking injectors...lean?? make any sense? no . by the way...leaking injectors means fuel- more fuel....runaway benz..[:0]...look out...Hope your fuel shut off lever works!!!........the valves were too tight........

·
Registered
2003 E500
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the engine was opened and head tested they found 3 cracks in the head. It seems some one has cracked the head before I bought the car. I never came even close to 90 on my temperature guage wile driving the car. MBZ dealer mechanics said these models had some problems with cat converter and when they went bad all the heat was going back to the engine and well you know the rest. Wile working on the car I did discover guess what brand new cat converter. I found an excellent head from 84 300d TD and got it machined, valves new guides. It works like a clock and it starts better then my C280!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.