Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8L
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I've been having some fuel issues (terrible consumption, ~12mpg at best) on my '91 190E 1.8L

I took it to a mechanic, he jacked it up from the back and took a look at the fuel accumulator, unscrewed it and told me it was busted as it was leaking.

I also noticed prior to this that the EHA (electro-hydraulic actuator) was leaking, and I showed the mechanic. He inspected it and told me that it has a crack and needs to be replaced.

My question is, would these 2 faults cause bad fuel consumption? And from googling around I get info saying that bad fuel accumulator would be causing startup problems... whereas my car starts first time everytime without an issue.

I also asked the mechanic about the O2 sensor, and he told me their role in this fuel system isnt focused as much in controlling fuel/air mixture like they are in newer fuel systems (Mine is Bosch K-Jetronic), so its less likely to be causing bad fuel economy. True?

Would appreciate any thoughts regarding this issue, thanks !

·
Registered
85 300SD, 82 euro 500 SEC, 78 450SL
354 Posts
The only thing that the fuel accumulator does is keep pressure up when the engine is off and this only matters when it is very hot i.e. prevents vapor lock. Mine was bad for years before I replaced it and everything was normal except hot starts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts