Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reason why one couldn't use a rubber ring seal on the oil drain plug similar to those green AC seals? I find mind is leaking substantially.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Is there a reason why one couldn't use a rubber ring seal on the oil drain plug similar to those green AC seals? I find mind is leaking substantially.
The obvious reasons are someone lost the correct Copper Crush Washer and did not have another.

Take a really close look at the hole in the Pan it is not unknown for the Threaded part inside that is welded to the pan to crack or become loose.

Also the Lube and Tune type Oil Change places have been know to cause all kinds of grief to the Oil Pan Drain.
If all they did is lose the washer and install an Oil Ring someone was lucky.

New Copper Washers come with many of the Oil Filters.
But, you can reuse the Old one by heating it red hot and letting it cool as long as it is Copper and not too mangled up.

·
Registered
1983 300D
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Copper Washers come with many of the Oil Filters.
But, you can reuse the Old one by heating it red hot and letting it cool as long as it is Copper and not too mangled up.
Ok and if the filter doesn't come with one where can i get one?
-v

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
NAPA should have the Copper Washer.
Ace Hardware Stores sell some.
The Chain Auto parts Stores may have them.
Pep Boys.
The local Non-chain Auto Part Stores sell Dorman Products.

Or you could simply buy another Oil Filter and make sure that it comes with the Washer. I think Mann, Bosch, and Mahle Oil Filters come with the Copper Washer.
The Fram (Pep Boys used to sell the Fram) one may come with them. The Purolator Oil Filter for the 617 Mercedes comes with the Washer but the Filter is made in India and even looks cheesy; the STP version appears to be the same Filter.
The Washer can be reused more than one time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts