Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my username suggests I have just returned to Mercedes ownership after an unwelcome break.

I have picked up the car today and have replaced the fuel return pipes and the next thing to sort is as follows -

The injector nearest to the bulkhead is leaking bubbles of diesel from between the injector sleeve/seat and the cylinder head.

I am going to tackle this tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before or if you have any knowledge of how the assembly works.

Does the injector compress the sleeve/seat and should I just tighten the injector? Or is there another issue that could be causing the diesel to rise up between the sleeve/ seat and the head?

If anyone could shed some light on this then I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Welcome back.

The seat is compressed, so you could try to torque the injector down. I am wondering if you should pick up a new seat, remove the injector and ensure that the injector barrel itself is tight. Once you have verified this, you can replace the injector onto the new seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the advice. I took the injector out today and there was a lot of mess under it and the washer was caked in thick oil. The threads in the head and the injector were both filthy as well so I cleaned everything up, put it back together again to the correct torque and no leaks at all.

Its now 11.50pm and we've just got back from the pub where where the car was not disgraced next to the mother-in-laws W202 estate and a gathering from the local Lotus Elan owners' club.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
That's the beauty of living in Jolly Olde; going to your local every evening to socialize. I'm glad to hear that the problem was fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts