Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1997 e420
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 97 E420 with a leaking crankshaft seal (front) and was looking for a DIY. Does anyone have any info on this type of repair on my model vehicle? I was quoted $500 for the repair but , if it's something I could tackle in a weekend I'd rather do it myself. Thanks in advance AK.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
There is nothing special about it being a Benz.

It's all labor to get to the little seal, and the toughest part is removing the HB and retorquing it. Haven't done it on the M119, but if clearance is tight you might have to remove the radiator. You probably don't, because the labor would be more.

If you want to see the exact process, you can get the repair manual DVD or sign up for one of the third party subscription services, either is still less than the labor at the shop by a wide margin. Or someone with a subscription may come along and post the document for you, you never know.

You can rent the puller free at Autozone. Be sure to inspect the HB for wear before you begin. If the rubber is breaking down, this is the perfect opportunity to replace it. Part is pretty expensive, but if you need it, you need it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts