Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaked EPA Document Says Bayer's Clothianidin Kills Honey Bees

© 2011 by Linda Moulton Howe

“Clothianidin is highly toxic to honey bees.”
- Leaked EPA Document, November 2, 2010

“When bees consume guttation (dew) drops collected from plants grown from neonicotinoid-coated seeds, they encounter death within a few mintues."

- “Translocation of Neonicotinoid Insecticides From Coated Seeds
to Seedling Guttation Drops: A Novel Way of Intoxication for Bees”
© 2009 published by Entomological Society of America

2009 photographic evidence of honey bee deaths in front of their hive
at 7:30 AM after the bees drank clothianidin-contaminated dew water.
Source: Hedwig Riebe of the Deutscher Berufs und Erwerbs Imker
Bund e. V. in 2009, German Beekeepers Association.

January 23, 2011 Niwot, Colorado - Tom Theobald went to work for IBM in 1965 to 1975. “I knew I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in the corporate world,” he told me recently,
“so I left IBM not knowing what else I was going to do. But I had a large garden and decided to get some bees to raise. Before I knew it, I was a beekeeper and founder of the Boulder County Beekeepers Association where I served as president for the next thirty years.”

All was pretty much normal beekeeping with ups and downs of mite and other parasite challenges. But then came the winter of 2006 to 2007. Beekeepers in Pennsylvania and along the East Coast reported losing at least 60% or more of their colonies to a strange mystery: their bees disappeared. Whole hives were empty without dead bee bodies. What was happening? Where were the bees?

Penn State, University of Pennsylvania and other labs and institutions were asked to get to the bottom of what scientists began calling Colony Collapse Disorder, or CCD. On February 23, 2007, I interviewed David Hackenberg, Owner of the Hackenberg Apiaries in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, and the first commercial beekeeper to reach out to Penn State and ask for help. Right from the beginning, Dave Hackenberg suspected that nicotine-based systemic insecticides - such as imidicloprid produced by Germany's Bayer Corporation - were the culprits. But there was no proof. To Dave's and other beekeepers' dismay, when Bayer's patent on imidicloprid expired, Bayer had another nicotine-based insecticide already waiting for market called clothianidin.

Read more at: http://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?ID=1808&category=Environment
-----------------------------

Source: Earthfiles.com Environment | Leaked EPA Document Says Bayer's Clothianidin Kills Honey Bees

1 - 3 of 3 Posts