Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was changing my plugs, I noticed some "sludge" all over my engine. As I continued to search for the source, I found it was coming from the Power Steering Reservoir!

This part has had a recall and the recall has been replaced as needed, so my guess is that the reservoir needs a new Seal Ring...

I have included some photos, but I am not sure how great the quality is on them due to the file-size requirements suggested on this site.

Any input is greatly appreciated and if you have any questions, please let me know so I can provide you with the most accurate information.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Common issue, the parts/refill are easy DIY - but there is a specific "bleeding procedure" that MUST be followed BEFORE ENGINE IS RE-STARTED to prevent air from getting trapped.

For the DIY you will need: new reservoir, new o-ring, new c-ring, and (2) bottles MB power steering oil = total at/under $80.

Do a forum search for the reservoir replacement instructions, PLUS the instructions for propoer bleeding procedure - which you will need jack stands to get your front end up in the air.

Keep the beat !

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,133 Posts
The power steering reservoir is not a recall campaign part. The lower hose is. They are going to charge you to do this. I've put 2 of them on. Not a hard job at all.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
some of the sludge is the resultant of the failure of "Oil Filler Neck Gasket". Oil is leaking from that oil filler neck. Replacing that gasket will take care of lot of that mess. While you are at it, replace the oil filler cap gasket as well. Replacing oil filler cap will take you 2 minutes (remove the cap, remove the gasket, put new gasket in, put back the cap).

·
Registered
2000 ML320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Common issue, the parts/refill are easy DIY - but there is a specific "bleeding procedure" that MUST be followed BEFORE ENGINE IS RE-STARTED to prevent air from getting trapped.

For the DIY you will need: new reservoir, new o-ring, new c-ring, and (2) bottles MB power steering oil = total at/under $80.

Do a forum search for the reservoir replacement instructions, PLUS the instructions for propoer bleeding procedure - which you will need jack stands to get your front end up in the air.

Keep the beat !

Thank you very much for your response! Hopefully my repost contains a success story..! I do have the jack stands and will research the specific bleeding procedure. Still a junior when it comes to DIY, but very thankful for this forum.

Regards,

Branen

·
Registered
2000 ML320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
some of the sludge is the resultant of the failure of "Oil Filler Neck Gasket". Oil is leaking from that oil filler neck. Replacing that gasket will take care of lot of that mess. While you are at it, replace the oil filler cap gasket as well. Replacing oil filler cap will take you 2 minutes (remove the cap, remove the gasket, put new gasket in, put back the cap).
I thought I noticed some oil residue... I will look into these parts and make sure to swap them out seeing as to how I am already going into that part of the engine.

I will repost with my results!

Thanks,

Branen

·
Registered
2002 ML 320
20 Posts
power steering repair DIY pics

Thanks, Detane! I will check your DIY thread and see what I find. I really did not know where to start, hence my reasoning for the rookie post.

Thanks,

Branen
I can"t find the sticky or thread for any DIY pics of the 2002 ML320 power steering repairs. My ML was whining I added fluid whining stopped.. now it is eaking. oddly enough it did not leave marks in the garage or drive until now that I added fluid. So I am wondering if it is a ta seal or a crack...also... would love to see how to repair so I can DI myself. our dealer will hit me for resevoirs and seals and labor out the wazooo and tell me the pump needs to be replaced... regardless... parts list cost and how to would be huge help.. or even just provide the link of these elusive how to pics

DETANE seems to be linked to them but I can find nothing in his posts that shows how.. any help anyone?

thanks all

·
Registered
2 Posts
2002 ML320 Power Steering Reservoir

My power steering reservoir leaked all of the fluid out and the steering obviously got difficult. I added fluid (Automatic Transmission Fluid) and when I restarted the vehicle the reddish fluid began leaking out of a hose up near the radiator area. The fluid was coming out with a foamy/emulsion looking appearance and drained about three quarters of the fluid I had just added. I know that the reservoir did not empty this same way and was more of a slow leak. Any ideas what is happening? Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG, 2006 Mercedes ML350
509 Posts
My power steering reservoir leaked all of the fluid out and the steering obviously got difficult. I added fluid (Automatic Transmission Fluid) and when I restarted the vehicle the reddish fluid began leaking out of a hose up near the radiator area. The fluid was coming out with a foamy/emulsion looking appearance and drained about three quarters of the fluid I had just added. I know that the reservoir did not empty this same way and was more of a slow leak. Any ideas what is happening? Thanks.
you put transmission fluid in the power steering system?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,855 Posts
It is most likely leaking from lower cooler hose at the radiator. Issue is covered by a recall.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/10055/?requestedDocId=10055

1 - 13 of 13 Posts