Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is little leak (right after turning off the engine, few drops from oil pan). Now, this happened after i replaced the oil pan gasket, i might have over tighten it or something.
Anyways, i do not want to remove the whole pan again at this point and can i use JB Weld or something around the leak for temporary fix or any other sealant available for this type of leak...

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Are you sure it is leaking from the oil pan and not the front crankshaft seal?

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
Is your engine a turbo? If so it could be the turbo drain.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
All of what was said in the other posts and add the Transmission Oil Cooler Tubing that runs along the pan. When the Rubber is gone the Metal Bracket wears a hole in the tubing.

The other issue is that some people insist that on Mercedes you do not need any sort of gasket sealant. Yet, as you said the previous owner could have overtightend the Pan or inproperly use a Jack under the Pan as they did on mine.

When I changed My Turbo Drain Seals I forgot to order an new Oil Pan Gasket and ended cleaning up and degreasing the old one and the careful use Silicone Sealant on both sides of the Gasket.

Everyone worries about pieces of Silicone coming off. To prevent that let the Silicone Cure several hours before you fill it with Oil and run the Engine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it looks like its leaking from the oil pan but i'll double check; i haven't really looked carefully but it is from passenger side of the oil pan, bolts (so looking from the front of the vehicle left side of the oil pan). And yes, it is turbo...
I'll probably clean the engine little, including underneath and try to check again.
(oh, and just off topic any link or info on how to delete egr vacuum)

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Depeinding on what year you have right between the Turbocharger Drain and the Block (on the bottom) is the Draing Tubing from the Crankcase Breather.
There is an O-ring on a Nipple down there; another possible leak source.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts