Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found the mysterious leak, causing water to trickle from my D pillar light during heavy rain, in the rear of my 87 300TD wagon. The boot that covers the hatch strut/shock has shrunk and no longer prevents water from running in during a downpour. My hatch lifts and stays up with no problem. I have searched and am unable to find a part number for the rubber boots. Can someone with EPC access help me out with a part number?

While my struts haven't given me any indication that they are failing, I am assuming that I will most likely have to remove the struts to replace the boots, or at least remove one end of the strut so that I can remove old boot and install new one. I currently have my headliner removed (replaced cracked, sun baked, faded roof cargo bars) and before I put my new "used" headliner on I want to take care of this issue. I am leaning towards putting new hatch struts in for the simple fact that I already have headliner removed and it will be one less thing to worry about for the foreseeable future. Installing new hatch struts however, still doesn't solve my problem of leaking because of shrunken/damaged boot.

Does anyone know if the boot can be replaced without complete removal of strut? Has anyone replaced their boots only?
Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Pics are of boot from inside and one from rear with hatch raised. Can see rubber boot showing cracks and not sitting flush with opening. Sorry pics are sideways.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
EPC lists 'expansion plug - hinge lever' 1249870344 (qty 2) and 'grommet' (that looks like a bellows) 1249970781 (qty 2)

if the lifter/strut thing is inside it, then I dunno how you could install it without disconnecting at least one end of said strut.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the part numbers. I have only checked a few sites so far but I am starting to get worried that these are no longer available. I have a set on order, but haven't received the confirmation email that they are in stock and available. Thanks again for the part numbers.

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
More than likely, those are going to be dealer parts. Try plugging the PN's into Parts.com search bar. Parts.com is a Mercedes distribution facility in the Chicago land area. Owned by AutoNation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Jayare
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing